Pages

November 2, 2012

One-Liners, Et al.

I haven't posted anything in a while, since I've been busy wrapping my mind around this 6-game losing streak in football, enjoying the bye week for the Hoos (and Bengals), surviving a hurricane, and trying to get my mind right for basketball.

A while ago, I declared that Wahooze would become like the blog version of tapas.  That didn't really take root, as I have grown increasingly bloated and long-winded.  However, the will to carpet bomb you with quick-hitting succinct thoughts on UVA sports is still strong.  So call it a tapas failure, but maybe I can give you a pu-pu platter.

Anyway, here's a bunch of one-liners (or something like one-liners) of things that have sort of been on my mind during the eight days I haven't posted.  I hope you enjoy.  (If not, go back and read Examining Bennettball.  That was a good piece, broken picture links be damned.)  Anyway, on to the one-liners...


  • Chip Kelly to the NFL?  I think his Blur Offense would translate, and I think pro football will be forever changed.  But what team is ripe for a coaching hire like Kelly?  The Kansas City Chiefs.
  • Speaking of the Blur... You gotta read this piece "Speed Chess," from Grantland's Chuck Klosterman.
  • Back to the reason you visit this blog, UVA sports.  I made the following comment to my friend Karl today while discussing Virginia Basketball.  I was proud of it, so I am repeating it here: Tony Bennett excels at turning five fingers into a fist.
  • This is the first season that Mike London has experienced hardship as a head coach.  Think about it.  First year at Richmond, BOOM, national championship.  Second year at Richmond, 11-2 and a trip to the quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs.  Smooth sailing.  First year at Virginia, 4-8 in a certain "crawl out of the crater" situation, with a marquee win over Miami.  Second year at Virginia, BOOM, Peach Bowl.  Now here we are, his fifth season as a head coach, sitting at 2-6 and coming off a bye in desperate need of some direction from the head coach.  If we finish up at 2-10 or 3-9, London will have to make his first really difficult decisions as a head coach.
  • It doesn't get much mention, but losing Billy Schautz for such an extended period of time this season has really killed us.
  • I'll continue to sing it from the rafters: Akil "Big Fun" Mitchell will be the breakout star of our 2012-13 basketball campaign.
  • I'm worried about attendance for our nationally-televised Thursday night game against UNC.  Dolphins @ Bills aren't going to draw many eyes away from ESPN to the NFL Network that night.  We really don't need the nation to see us get drubbed by the Tarheels in a half-full stadium that night.  That's the kind of thing that can really harm a program that is trying to pull itself up by the bootstraps.
  • I love that Jeffrey beat both Pierce and Mike in Weekly Wahooze Pix last week.  LOVE it.
  • I won't even bother trying to hide it anymore.  I want the spread offense at UVA.  I want it, and I want it bad.
  • Learn the name Joe McCarthy.  I have a feeling he's going to be a big, big star for Virginia Baseball, and it starts in his freshman season in 2013.
  • Too bad Virginia Tech's worst season in a decade happens at the same time as our worst season since the '70s.  We really need to clip those turkeys soon, but I'm not confident it's going to happen.
  • What's going to happen to Derek Dooley once Tennessee fires him?  I have no idea, but I know he's not going to land at UVA... yet.
  • The rumor that Al Golden might cut bait at Miami and head to Boston College makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels.
  • Would Iowa really fire Kirk Ferentz?  I don't buy it.
  • Next Friday (Nov. 9th) is the start of college basketball season.  I cannot freaking wait.
  • I miss the NHL.  But only a little bit.
  • I've got a feeling NC State is not going to be as good as everyone thinks they're going to be.  Mark Gottfried is kind of a shithead.
  • The Houston Texans are going to win the Super Bowl.
  • I'm really excited about Justin Anderson.  I can't wait to see him on the floor for the Hoos this winter.
  • Still holding out hope that NBA basketball is making its way to Virginia Beach, and that for the first time in my life the state of Virginia will have a professional sports franchise to call its own.
  • It's late, I'm tired, go Hoos.





No comments:

Post a Comment