While your busy digesting, I thought I'd drop in and offer up some light reading.
First and foremost, I just want to make sure you have seen these three pieces pertaining to Maryland's dirtbag move to the Big Ten.
A Step Too Far?, by SI's Stewart Mandel
Expansion by Big Ten May Bring Small Payoff, by The New York Times' Nate Silver
i hate college football, from the excellent blog From Old Virginia
My take on Maryland's move to the B1G?
1) I think it's total bullshit that they can grossly mis-manage their athletic department to the tune of seven cancelled sports, and then find this golden parachute. It's a
dumpster couch fire up there in College Park, and now they'll be able to throw piles of cash on it to keep it burning.
2) Careful what you wish for, B1G. Yes, you may be expanding the footprint of the BTN into the DC, Baltimore, and NY/NJ markets, but how many people in those areas even care about college football? The Terps and Scarlet Knights water down your product immensely. I can't help but think this was fueled - at least in part - over [B1G Commissioner] Jim Delaney being butthurt over Notre Dame making a commitment to the ACC over the Big Ten. Sour grapes is not a good reason to invite these two dead-end athletic departments to your boats & hoes party.
|Enjoy this shit, Big Ten.|
3) I am worried about the ACC, but much more importantly, I am worried about where UVA is going to land. I do not wish for Big Ten membership. Sure, the money would be nice, as would the AAU affiliations. But dammit I'm a fan, and I don't want to see UVA vs. Minnesota or UVA vs. Iowa as conference games. We're a southern school with southern rivalries, and we belong in the ACC. That said, if the ACC is crumbling (and there's no reason to panic about that... yet), then we gotta jump fast, and I don't see a place for us in the SEC or Big XII.
4) I am choosing my words very, very carefully here: FUCK MARYLAND. The ACC needs to make damn sure it doesn't budge on the $50M buyout, and UVA needs to make damn sure we never, ever, ever, ever, ever schedule the Terps for a regular season game, ever again. Let them rot in the Big Ten, with an athletic department just as horrendously run as it's always been, but with more money to throw on the bonfire.
5) I am boycotting Under Armor. I hope that you will join me.
5) What's next for the ACC? Stay firm at 13 members for football and 14 for all other sports, or make a quick, strong stab at UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, or USF (in order of likelihood)? Or will we now see F$U make their move toward the Big XII, thus triggering the collapse of the conference -- Clemson following F$U to the B12, VT and NC State to the SEC, and GT begging for inclusion somewhere, anywhere.
For now, we're back in wait-and-see mode. I like to think Maryland doesn't have the power or sway to send those dominoes tumbling... but only time will tell. It's kind of like the house trailer at the edge of town just burned down. Will we let the smoke ruin our quality of life here in the suburbs?