Pages

March 9, 2012

Silver Linings

I try to pride myself on the content of this blog not being the typical pie-in-the-sky optimistic sports fan drivel.  But I often can't help myself --- when it comes to UVA sports, I have an instinct to see the the glass as half full.


Today was a bummer of a loss.  A real shit sandwich (extra mustard!), and totally indicative of a team that is playing its worst basketball of the season at the most important part of the season.  There are, of course, extenuating circumstances leading to this, that absence of Malcolm Brogdon primary on that list, the absence of Assane Sene secondary, and general fatigue of the team tertiary.

That being said, I have three silver linings from today's loss that I'd like to point out:

1) Unless you win the whole thing, nobody gives a french shit about your performance in the ACC tournament.  Yes, it sucks that we haven't played on Saturday of the ACCT since James Naismith was throwing pig leather into peach crates and using his notoriety to seduce Kansas co-eds, but really --- this once-storied tournament is now no longer that big of a deal.  How is this a silver lining?  A win today would have meant another meaningless game in Atlanta and more chances for the injury that would put our crippled team completely out of its misery.  Plus, fewer games now means more rest for the tournament that really matters, next week.

The 47 people in attendance were absolutely riveted.

2) Losing to NC State gives the Wolfpack another RPI top-50 win, and elevates their RPI to the top-50, in turn giving US another top-50 win.  Funny how it works, but in a really weird transitive way, losing today helps our NCAA tournament resumé.  I know that sounds like I'm selling snake oil, but this is the reason I was pulling so hard for State over BC.  Losing to State today would have been better than beating BC.  Weird, I know.  Counter-intuitive, I know.  But there it is.

3) This loss likely drops us a full seed line, maybe more.  Everyone who studies Bracketology - Lunardi, Glockner, the fine folks at Bracket W.A.G., etc. - had us as a 9-seed heading into today's game.  This loss drops us to a 10-seed or maybe even an 11-seed.  Why is this a good thing?  Two reasons:

  1. As a 10- or 11-seed, if we win our first round game, we don't have to play against a buzzsaw 1-seed in the 2nd round.  We would get an infinitely more winnable game against a 2- or 3-seed, and given our style and star power (MIKE SCOTT!), I think a cinderella run is entirely possible.  I really believe it with my whole heart.  Kentucky or Syracuse would stomp us out, but Michigan State?  Baylor?  Missouri?  Indiana?  I think we'd have a puncher's chance.  I can tell you that none of those teams would be enthused to see Bennettball waiting for them in the round of 32.
  2. If we lose our first round game - entirely possible given the way we are scraping the bottom of the barrel right now - it would not be a big, huge, embarrassing upset.  We'd still be able to tout a tournament appearance to recruits, we'd still get the respect that comes with making the Big Dance, and we'd still be able to wax ecstatic about what might have been without the unlucky attrition of this season.  We can still say the program has turned the corner.


I admit, I'll be nervous on Sunday, waiting to see if the selection committee screws us over.  But I think we're in off of this year's super-soft bubble, and getting in is all that matters.  A year ago, I said "2012 NCAA Tournament or BUST," are we are poised on the precipice.

Just for gits and shiggles, here are my DREAM matchups:
  • 11-seed in the pod played in Nashville.  I think we'd put a lot of Hoo fans in the stands.
  • 1st round opponent: 6-seed Murray State.  I want a piece of these guys.  They represent all that I hate about mid-majors.  And frankly, I just don't think they are as good as everyone wants you to believe.  I'd love to have my team behind a power conference "upset" over a lame, over-hyped mid-major.
  • 2nd round opponent: 3-seed Georgetown.  Flimsiest 3-seed type team in the entire field.  Plus, extra recruiting cred if we're able to beat a regional rival in a tournament upset.
Oooooh, I want a piece of these clowns.

DREAM matchups #2:
  • 10-seed in Louisville.  Just because it's the freaking KFC Yum!(TM) Center.  I shit you not.
  • 1st round opponent: 7-seed Gonzaga.  Mouth watering for a chance to get a little revenge on the Zags, Duke of the Pacific Northwest.  I haven't forgotten 2001, shitheads.
  • 2nd round opponent: 2-seed Missouri.  Just because I think we match up pretty well with Mizzou, and the fact that I know - KNOW! - Frank Haith is a terrible coach.
I know, I can't believe it either.

1 comment:

  1. Caleb and I live exactly 1 mile from the Yum! center... we used to walk the dog by here about 3 times a week, before she got lazy.

    ReplyDelete