Pages

March 16, 2012

Egg Laid

[Earmuffs for those of you with tender sensibilities.  This one is going to be profane.]

Okay, what the fuck was that?  Seriously?  SERIOUSLY?

We looked like a fucking 16-seed trying to take on a 1-seed.  In fact, UNC-Asheville put up a much better fight against Syracuse than we did against Florida.  Western Kentucky put up a better fight against Kentucky.

Nobody was good.  Everybody sucked.

No heart.  No fight.  No toughness.

I'd say that game was bitterly disappointing, but that denotes sadness and depression.  Instead, right now I just feel embarrassment and humiliation.

I might someday come to regret what I'm going to say next, but fuck it.  I am not going to miss Sammy Zeglinski.  Assane Sene?  Who's that?  And Mike Scott... I've bit my tongue all year on this... but... that mid-range jumper is great and all, but we needed someone who could reliably take it down low and generate some offense.  You weren't that guy.  You were a guy who disappeared in the second half of the most important games.

Was this a T.A.Y. ("Turn Around Year")?  We won 20+ games and made the NCAA tournament, but I'd contend that the showing today did more harm that good.  38% from the field.  16.7% from three.  60% from the line.  Out-rebounded by 15.  Scored 45 points, despite the last 10 minutes of the game essentially being played as garbage time.  Allowed our opponents to shoot 52.8% from the field.  Surrendered 9 offensive rebounds.  Gave up 71 points.  Blown out by a team whose offense revolves around the three-point shot, despite them missing their first 13 attempts from behind the three-point line.

Not good.

I'm sure I'll settle down and begin the process of digesting this loss.  But not yet, not right now.  Right now, I just feel like a sucker, just like always.  Being a Virginia sports fan is absolutely, positively fucking pointless.  You are never rewarded, only punished.

The worst part of all this is that Shaka Smart was absolutely correct when he said that the best basketball being played in the state of Virginia is in the CAA... and it isn't even close.

I'm now going to have a massive bowel movement, then eat it with a fork and knife until I die of dysentery.  Wish me good luck and godspeed... and a different college sports allegiance in my next life.

***DEEP BREATH***

I take it back.  I am going to miss Sammy.  And Mike.  Abd being a UVA sports fan isn't pointless.  But it is really hard, and will test your conviction at every turn.  Today is a test I am failing.

But I'll be ready for the next test, whenever it comes.

I am proud of this team and what they accomplished this season.  Great season, Hoos.  Thank you for the ride.  Every roller coaster has to grind into the station at some point, I guess.

We'll get 'em next year.

*sigh*

1 comment: