Pages

March 7, 2012

I want to talk about Peyton Manning.

Yeah, yeah, this is a UVA sports blog.  I want it to stay that way, but I also want it to be a place where I can make whatever commentary I want.  And today, I want to talk about Peyton Manning.

In 20 minutes, Manning and Colts owner Jim Irsay will conduct a joint news conference to announce that the Colts are cutting Manning, and that he is free to sign with a different NFL team.

Right now, I want to say that I think Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in NFL history.  I have a lot of reasons for saying this, none of them statistical (although he has passed for 31 MILES and 399 touchdowns), but the bottom line is that he helmed a team that went to nine straight playoff appearances, including a Super Bowl victory.  His supporting cast could only muster a dismal 2-14 record without him, and he earned some MVP votes in a season in which he never played a down of football.  The guy is (was?) awesome.  A little wooden and robotic, yes.  But awesome.  A total dork with the media, yes.  But awesome.  Great passer, and true student of the game.  I think nobody loves football more than Peyton Manning.  Maybe more importantly, I think nobody respects football more than Peyton Manning.


Now what?

I think Peyton Manning being Peyton Manning, he's going to be very careful about the team he chooses.  And the risk-vs-reward conscious NFL teams are going to be very careful about this neck injury, making sure Manning will be able to give them a proper return on their investment.  He's going to sell tickets and jerseys, but only if he can actually play.  So it's going to be a drawn-out courtship, with lots of tires being kicked and melons being plucked.  The rumor mill is going to be chugging away, and it's going to get annoying for those of us who follow football.  But still, it's interesting as hell to me.

The main contenders for his services likely include:

  • Miami.  But I have my doubts that Peyton would want to play against Tom Brady twice each season.  Still, the presence of Brandon Marshall makes this opportunity interesting.
  • Washington.  I'm pretty sure he won't want to play against Eli twice each season, and battle his brother for playoff appearances.  But Dan Snyder is historically bold about over-the-hill free agents, and this move would really move the needle for the Skins' disenchanted fanbase.
  • Arizona.  Larry Fitzgerald and a division that isn't especially intimidating (though it is rapidly improving.)
  • Seattle.  I don't see it happening.
  • Kansas City.  They took a chance on Joe Montana two decades ago, and would probably love to take the same chance on Manning now.  It's a team with a playoff-caliber cast of characters, and a very interesting option for Peyton, if the option materializes.
  • Baltimore.  Here's my darkhorse.  Not sure why I think it's possible, but I feel like it is.  If this courtship does happen, I think it would be in secret, and nobody would know until he's signed.  The Ravens will sneak in like a ninja in the night, and the collateral damage will be Joe Flacco.
  • New York Jets.  They'd be stupid not to take a hard charge at Peyton Manning.

This is going to be a very interesting few weeks in the NFL, with free agency set to start next Tuesday along with the Peyton Manning saga.

I know I'll be dialed in to see where he lands.


By the way, I think Irsay is absolutely doing the right thing.  You get a crack at Andrew Luck, you take him.  And you clear the way for him to be your starting QB from day 1.  Not sure who he'll be throwing to (I think the Colts should have worked harder to keep Pierre Garçon), but Luck looks like he'll be the best QB of this decade, and he'll be replacing the best QB of the previous decade.  Lucky-ass Colts.

3 comments:

  1. I like this post. I think Miami is the spot he will land. He has a borderline great left tackle in Jake Long, and a bonafide number one receiver in Brandon Marshall. Bring in Reggie Wayne as a free agent and it is on. Having Reggie Bush out of the backfield makes them scary as an offense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worst Wahooze post ever.

    TOM BRADY 4 LYFE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, sorry Pierce. I think Tom Brady is pretty damn special, too. We've been lucky to witness this golden era of NFL quarterbacking. Manning, Brady, Brees, A-Rodge, Eli, and now Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and RG3. It's an exciting time to be a fan of the forward pass. (And I am, I AM!)

    ReplyDelete