Pages

November 19, 2011

We CAN win today

Hello Wahooze.

I am steamed about basketball. Very VERY steamed. So I am deflecting my rage to something else. Florida State. Who I hate. I REALLY hate. I have been to Doak Campbell Stadium. It is a fortress. Which is going to make it that much sweeter when we WIN today. Here are some reasons.

1. Short Passing: 

FSU can get after the QB like nobody's business so the short passing game is going to be key for our success. Which is good because the deep passing game is virtually nonexistant on a consistent basis. Key #1 to this game on offense is going to be Kris Burd. Rocco is going to need to be able to rely on him to catch balls in traffic and hold on while he most likely gets lit up by FSU's linebackers. UVA needs to establish these quick hitters early to keep Stoops and the FSU defense honest, and will also help set up...

2. Perry Jones: 

Superman is a matchup nightmare. Lazor having him in his back pocket is great for this offense. How long has it been that we have one of these guys on the field where you have to know where he is at all times? At least on offense that is. If FSU loses track of Jones he is getting the ball on that play. That adds another wrinkle of thinking to a school that doesn't exactly have the brightest kids in the bunch. (I am aware they had a Rhodes Scholar on the team a few years ago, but that's 1.) Motioning Jones to the slot or out wide will be a big part of this game. Also I would not be shocked to see a little wildcat today to take advantage of...

3. Over-Hyping: 

Not on our part, but FSU's. How amped are they going to be to play this? Kids try to shine brightest when the lights come on which can lead to greatness, but also stupidity. UVA needs to take advantage of this by using misdirection, wildcat, play action, anything that puts an FSU defender in the position to choose between taking a shot at a big play or making the smart play, because I think they will roll the dice most of the time.

4. The O-Line: 

Not sure what the bipolar brigade is going to bring us this game but they seem to be rising to meet challenges this season. And this will be a big one. FSU is a wall in run defense. Number 4 in the country. For Parks and Wreck (shout out to McCampbell on that) to have a big game they will need to come up huge.

5. Secondary: 

A good matchup will be Bert Reed vs. Chase Minnifield. The secondary continues to make me incredibly nervous but there is good news. Jimbo and the Noles run a lot of the option too. Which we can stop. I would love to see 2 deep safeties all night and give up the shorter passes because we seem to get stronger around the goal line. Manuel can and will torch us deep all night long if we let him. We need to focus on making him check down and get after him and that shoulder. Looking at you LaRoy.

6. The Moment: 

It is senior day at FSU. A day that is great but also SUCKS in your athletic career. I remember my last game in high school (which I am not comparing this too before you start grumbling) and how easy it is to let emotion get the better of you. If we can take it to FSU the feeling of "I'm going to lose my last home game" is going to start affecting the Seminoles. The longer we keep it close the better.

7. The Schedule: 

We are sandwiched in the PERFECT spot in the FSU schedule. If not for it being senior day this would be a completely meaningless game to FSU. They can't catch Clemson for the Atlantic, they are bowl eligible and the most attractive team in the ACC, and they are in between rivalries. This is a classic trap game. Everything is setting up to overlook the Hoos, which god I hope they do.

That being said I would put our chances at about 20% tonight, which honestly is the highest it has been all week. It is going to take some weird things to happen. Things like Khalek Shepherd finally breaking one to the house,a touchdown on defense, and an incredible showing from PJ. Do we have it in us. I think so. This would be HUGE for recruiting, support, and confidence. I think this game could win us next week too if we play it right.

GOOOOO HOOOOOOOS

1 comment:

  1. The most prescient ever.

    I had number 6 going through my head through the whole second half. I'm so drunk.

    ReplyDelete