Pages

August 27, 2011

The Reds -- The Tight Ends

Statistically, the BEST properties to own if you want to win the game.
Still, the reds aren't without their limitations.  They're hard to develop,
but can really come through in the clutch.

Kentucky Ave. -- Colter Phillips, junior
It's one of those tired football clichés that I tend to hate: nothing helps a young quarterback more than a good tight end.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it.  Big target, good blocking, reliable hands, nice routes, safe option for short dumpoff passes.  We get it.  But said simply, I'm thinking that nothing will help Virginia's young quarterback(s) more than Colter Phillips.  He should easily be able to build off of his 18-catch, 155-yard, 3-TD season in 2010.  In fact, I'm looking for those numbers to DOUBLE in 2011.  Of course, it's still slightly murky how the tight end truly fits in the Lazor offense, and there are an awful lot of mouths to feed in the passing game, especially considering that this still figures to be a run-first offense.  Still, Colter Phillips is the next star in line at Tight End U.


Indiana Ave. -- Jeremiah Mathis, sophomore
I list him second above Freedman, because I think Mathis will be more involved in the offense, in general.  Tight end, H-back, maybe a little fullback.  He's a versatile weapon who brings a bit of that d-line nastiness to the offense.  If rumor holds true, Lazor will be incorporating some Magic 3 looks into the offense this season, and Mathis would be an integral part of that, as the "move" tight end.  I know it's lame to quote myself, but I like what I said about Mathis after attending the open practice on August 7th, so here's me quoting myself:
#81 Jeremiah Mathis -- He runs with a really bizarre gait. Almost like a broken robot. But he's big and can move. I've heard the term "unorthodox" used to describe his game, and I think that's apropos. He seems like a good weapon in the passing game, and I'm more than ever sold on his upside at H-back.

Ha ha, "broken robot."  Oh Kendall, you're the greatest.

No but seriously, there are a few guys I have a strong hunch about this season.  LoVante Battle.  Kevin Parks.  Chris Brathwaite (more on him in a few days, when I get to the d-line).  Go ahead and add Jeremiah Mathis to the "hunch list."


Illinois Ave. -- Paul Freedman, junior
I really like what I've seen from Freedman to this point in his career, but I can't believe he's already a junior.  He was one of the victims of Al Groh's "scorched earth" exit, which included stupidly burning redshirts right along with the bridges.  Freedman is a big (6-6, 260), square-built, thick, hard-charging guy.  He's a plus blocker, and seems to be a plus receiver.  He really reminds me of early career John Phillips, which is ABSOLUTELY a compliment.  Freedman just strikes me as a guy who can manhandle and ragdoll defenders, and I think he'll be a valuable member of the tight end rotation as we try to protect young quarterbacks and pave the way for a productive running game.  He'll break open and haul in a few timely receptions, but I have the feeling that part of his game isn't what will bubble to the surface so much this season.  He's a grizzly-esque mauling blocker, and that's what we'll see him doing more often than not.  I just wish this were his sophomore year of eligibility, because I feel like Freedman has the potential to develop into a really good all-around tight end... but the clock is already ticking down on his career in orange and blue.  Stupid Al Groh.



Community Chest:
  • Jake McGee, redshirt freshman -- A former two-star QB prospect (like Heath Miller) who has really taken to his new position.  Coaches and onlookers see a really bright future cooking with this guy, and I'm sure the fans will get a few glimpses under the lid this fall.
  • Zachary Swanson, redshirt freshman -- He's a fullback now, but I don't completely buy it.  I loved what I saw from him [at tight end] in the spring game: lots of surprising speed, good hands, hustle.  I'm sure if the injury bug stings us hard at tight end, Swanson would move back... and I think he'd be a good option for extensive PT at the position.
  • Kevin Royal, sophomore -- He's a wideout now, but still has almost the frame to hold up at tight end.  He's not much of an in-line blocker, but he offers great natural receiving chops, and speed that would be difficult for linebackers to cover.  Another guy who could switch back to tight end in an emergency.


Chance -- Magic 3.  We see it this year, and it's effective as hell.  With Phillips/Mathis/Freedman all on the field at the same time, that's a lot of height, a lot of strength, a lot of blocking, and a lot of pure receiving skill.  In other words, that's a lot of options.  Remember Schaub-to-Miller?  Of course you do.  A sort of comfort in knowing there's a fantastic red zone option in the passing game.  With Mike Rocco's QB pedigree and willingness to efficiently check down in his reads, I'm thinking Rocco-to-Phillips emerges in a very real way this season, offering shadows of Schaub-to-Miller.  Six total touchdowns for Colter Phillips this season.  Book it.


Development -- 3 houses
Good upside here, especially when you factor in Jeremiah Mathis' rapid improvement and the high ceiling for Jake McGee.  Phillips and Freedman have also only begun to scratch the surface of their potential.  That being said, I don't see a Vernon Davis in the bunch.  Good players, but no transcendent talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment