Pages

August 11, 2011

A Reason to Support Bob McDonnell

This is about as political as Wahooze is ever going to get but I just wanted to spread the Wahooze word about a great new program that the governor is bringing in 2012.

You can read the press release here but basically starting in 2012 the Richmond Coliseum will host a holiday basketball tournament featuring the basketball programs from the Virginia universities. The proposed schedule looks like this:


2012
Mason vs. Richmond
UVA vs. ODU

2013
Hampton vs. JMU
Tech vs. VCU


This is a great idea to me, especially since Virginia probably has one of the best group of collegiate basketball teams in America. I would love to see this grow into a full on yearly tournament that they play every year. I know the players probably want to go to some tropical island but I think having this grow into a intrastate tournament that rotates sites every year would be amazing. I would road trip every year to see that. Especially since UVA would probably be the favorite. CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!

2 comments:

  1. As a fan of college basketball: Woohoo this is awesome!

    As a UVa fan: How on earth did they get the administration to agree to this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It couldn't be a tournament because of the shared conferences. I.E. Virginia couldn't play Tech in the finals, ODU couldn't play VCU in the semis, etc.

    I like it, but it's slightly milquetoast without the tourney format.

    And Pierce is right -- it's a risk for UVA. Lose-lose. You gain nothing by beating ODU, but you stand to lose a lot with a loss. And to play that game on a neutral court? I don't see the wisdom there. Not that I'm afriad of these other in-state schools, I just don't like the balance of risk vs. reward for UVA in this event.

    But I am looking forward to the game, which should be really good.

    ReplyDelete