Pages

August 23, 2011

The Oranges -- The Running Backs

My favorite properties in Monopoly, bar none.
I'll go ahead and admit it -- I always get excited about doing the running backs preview.  I just love writing about these guys.  So if you detect a bit more sizzle in this piece than you did in... say... the piece about the kickers, well now you know why.

Also, I hope you're enjoying the Monopoly-style presentation.  I know it's a little bit silly.  Why am I using it?  It makes it more fun for me to write.  I like a cohesive theme, and I like confusing, convoluted mixed metaphors.  Anybody can give you a position-by-position breakdown.  Only Wahooze will give it to you in the format of a game of Monopoly.  Snake eyes, bitch.

Anyway, the running backs...


St. James Place -- Kevin Parks, tailback, redshirt freshman
I love Perry Jones.  I think he's great.  But I'm putting KP at St. James Place and first in the pecking order at the running back position based entirely on a gut call.  I've got a feeling about the kid, a funny kind of feeling.  He didn't impress me at the spring game (due mostly to ball security issues, easily solved), but I think I have a fairly good grasp on what kind of runner he is.  He's a one-cut type, adept at dodging tackles, but deceptively powerful when he needs to be.  Low center of gravity, great balance, strong lower body, amazing leg drive for a kid his size.  Willing to lower a shoulder and plow into the pile.  A generally tough-nosed runner.  10,000 rushing yards in high school points to a simply uncanny ability to produce yards and touchdowns.  Think Thomas Jones at Big Stone Gap, under-recruited despite dizzying high school production.  KP is built like and runs like Maurice Jones-Drew, and I think that parallel is probably apropos.  One more high school stat from KP: as impressive as those 10K rushing yards are, how about 158 total touchdowns over four seasons.  ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FREAKING EIGHT.  Jesus.  I'm telling you, I have a funny kind of feeling about this kid.  I think he's going to be a star. 

At 5-8 and a buck ninety-five, Bill Lazor thinks KP has a chance to replace Keith Payne as Virginia's power back.  'Nuff said.



Tennessee Ave. -- Perry Jones, tailback, junior
HERE's what I had to say about Perry Jones last season, before I had ever seen him in extended action (note: I was pretty cocksure about Dominique Wallace... and dead wrong to be so confident).

If Dominique Wallace is the overpowering fastball, Perry Jones is the devastating changeup / curveball / splitter. He came to Virginia as a small (5-8, 185) scatback who was instantly slotted at defensive back by the departed coaching staff. But Jones eventually battled his way into the [admittedly underwhelming] mix at tailback during his redshirt freshman season. He carried that momentum into the spring, where he beat out Torrey Mack, Keith Payne, and Raynard Horne to earn the first-team listing on the post-spring depth chart (with Wallace still out, rehabbing his injury). I've seen Perry Jones in action a few times now, and I can tell you that he is QUICK, he's dangerous in the passing game as an outlet option or dump-off target in the flat, and he's electric slipping through traffic and into the open field. Best of all, he runs with a lot of toughness despite his tiny frame. I love this guy, I absolutely love him. And I think he'll do extremely well with 8-10 carries per game behind Wallace, along with a few receptions scattered here and there working as the 3rd down back or from the slot. In other words, I think he's a great complement to Dominique Wallace. (The term "thunder & lightning backfield" is extremely cheesy, so I won't touch that. How about steak & sizzle? Peanut butter & jelly? Fox & hound? Brad Pitt & Angeline Jolie? Am I reaching? David & Goliath? T&A? Too far?) That's not to say that Jones has gamebreaking speed, because he doesn't. He's quick in his cuts, but he's not a burner. He has his limitations. But as the wicked knuckleball to Wallace's high stinking cheddar, Perry Jones is money.


It turned out that Keith Payne was the sledgehammer back instead of Wallace, but Jones still played the complimentary role, and he played it extremely well.  A lot of Virginia fans grew frustrated with PJ's "dancing" behind the line, trying to find a crack.  Okay, that's fair.  But by and large I think he had a good season in 2010, and I'm excited to see what he'll do with another season of regular playing time in 2011.  Do I think he has enough to be UVA's feature back?  Well... maybe.  He's still small, but his 4.7 yards-per-carry on 137 attempts suggests to me that Jones can carry the load.  I think PJ and KP will basically split carries right down the middle, and while both are similarly small, they are very different runners.  Change of pace still applies here, and Perry Jones is still the curveball.




New York Ave. -- Max Milien, fullback, senior
I'll admit, I was skeptical last year.  I though Terence Fells-Danzer converting from linebacker was a much better story, and I thought Milien's 6-0, 215 frame was too small to play fullback.  I didn't think he'd succeed as a lead blocker, and I didn't think he would be able to beat out TFD for playing time at the position.  I was wrong.  It didn't take Milien long to gain a stranglehold on the fullback position, and his receiving ability added a nice dimension to the offense.  I now expect him to build on that success and have an even better season in 2011, especially considering the fact that we probably need a true power back to emerge for short yardage situations.  Milien is a decent lead blocker, a plus receiver, and has the potential to be that grinding pile-mover.  In other words, solid as our starting fullback, and possibly in line for a major uptick in production.


Community Chest:
  • Clifton Richardson, tailback, true freshman -- Maybe the only back on the roster who fits the prototype of an every down workhorse.  I'm sure his redshirt will be burned and he'll play, but his role is still fairly uncertain at this point.  If KP struggles, I could see Richardson rise up and snare a big chunk of the timeshare with Perry Jones.  If KP ends up being superfly TNT dynamite (as I suspect he will), then Richardson might only get sporadic time as the #3 tailback.  He's wildly talented, but that cream might not rise during his freshman season.
  • Khalek Shepherd, tailback, redshirt freshman -- He's another diminutive back, but more of a swiss army knife than PJ or KP.  He's got great receiving chops, and is very quick and shifty, but is still very green and probably not physically ready for very much pounding.  I expect we'll see him on the field from time to time, but probably mostly on special teams as he gets acclimated to this level of football.
  • Terence Fells-Danzer, fullback, senior -- He's a big, old school style thumper.  I love his story, never able to get traction at linebacker, then volunteering to fill the gaping hole at fullback once London was hired.  TFD plays in a lot of the special teams packages, and he also sees regular duty in the base offense.  I think he'll be able to build off of last season's transition to his new position, but he's still only the #2 fullback in this offense.
  • Zachary Swanson, fullback / tight end, redshirt freshman --  Moved to fullback after Ryan Cobb left the program, mostly because Milien and TFD are both seniors and London wanted some amount of carryover from this season to the next.  I honestly think Swanson is a dicey project as a fullback.  Too high-slung at 6-foot-6, and with a fairly lean-looking 235-pound frame; I doubt he'll be much good as a lead blocker gaining leverage.  He's basically a tight end masquerading as a fullback.  But I'm sure he brings plus receiving skills to the position, a trait that now looks like a prerequisite for the fullbacks in the Lazor offense.

Chance -- Kevin Parks and Perry Jones combine to emerge as the engine that drives the UVA offense in 2011.  Max Milien plays his bit part to perfection, busting a few big plays like he did in Atlanta last season.  TFD and Clifton Richardson see time, but aren't really relied upon, as the top three backs do just fine carrying the load.  KP explodes in one of the seven home games, notching 200+ yards and 3+ TDs, and powering the Hoos to an unexpected blowout victory.  The Kevin Parks / Perry Jones combo is so effective, it earns a cheesy nickname given by the chumps in the popular media, something stupid like "double dragon" or "cut & run" or "point & click."


Development -- 4 houses
I'm obviously bullish on Kevin Parks' upside.  I love Perry Jones, and I think he's got two more great years to give us, very Alvin Pearman-like.  Clifton Richardson is the real deal, and his future is extremely bright.  Khalek Shepherd is a fantastic #4 halfback.  What we lack here is the true bellcow power back, the 230+ pound ox who can develop into our version of Toby Gerhart.  With nothing but smaller backs, there will be days when the sledding is too tough in the trenches, and that puts a bit of a ceiling on the potential for the running backs.  Still, I think this unit will be very good this fall, with the upside to get better and better as the season slides along.



"Flash & Dash?"

"Rock & Roll?"

"Slip & Slide?"

"Banana Twins?"

"Bert and Ernie?"

"Rocky and Bullwinkle?"

"Smash & Grab?"

"Wine and Cheese?"

Okay, I'll stop now.


Rock & Roll.  The Rock (KP) & Roll (PJ) backfield...  actually kinda like that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment