Pages

October 26, 2011

Wahooze Picks Week 9

Last Week:
Mike: 8
Pierce: 7
Kendall: 7
Sparkle: 7

Season Totals:
Pierce: 66
Guests: 61
Kendall: 59
Mike: 56

Week 8 was a pretty good week for all our pickers, leading to little in the way of separation. As my two lesser prognosticators try and catch up to the guests' total, this week's games feature a handful of tricky games. This week's guest picker is Havens. He assures me that he reads Wahooze regularly and has been attending UVA games his entire life. He's also short and going to be a doctor. Welcome to Internet Glory, Havens.


He's very intimidating
Let's get to it:

Virginia @ Miami (13.5)

Picking The University: Pierce, Kendall, Havens

Picking The Letter U: Mike

Pierce Says: Mike London has finally admitted that switching two QBs in and out is stupid, albeit 8 weeks later than he should have. I think Rocco could bounce back well enough to manage a game that will be closer than two scores.

Kendall Says: I seriously doubt we'll win, but I have a hunch we'll keep it somewhat close. I could see a 28-17 type of game unfold. The offense has to play a lot better... but the good news is that it can't get any worse than it looked last week. The D has been making strides, so I do think things are kind of coming together. Miami on a Thursday night doesn't scare me. There might be 40K in the stands, not too intimidating. If we do go on to get our asses kicked, let's hope there's a World Series game 7 to distract the national audience.

Mike Says: I'm hoping my terrible luck works in our favor. But I feel a beatdown a brewin.

Havens Says: I think our defense will continue to make strides and if we can stick to our power running game so we dont have to ask much of whichever guy is at qb we keep it close. I dont know if we have enough to win at Miami but I think we beat the spread.


UConn @ Pitt (-10)

Picking the reigning basketball champs: Nobody.

Picking the best football team in the city of Pittsburgh: Everyone!

Pierce Says: Pitt proved me wrong already this season and UConn just isn't any good.

Kendall Says: Two weeks for Pitt to prepare, and UConn is not very good this season. Todd Graham quite likely cooked up something awesome for this game.

Havens Says: Pitt has had too much time and UConn is already looking at basketball season.


Wake @ UNC (-7)

Picking the actual academic school: Havens, Mike

Picking the faux-public-ivy: Pierce, Kendall

Pierce Says: Wake beat up on FSU, but barely beat Duke. I'm going with the home team.

Kendall Says: Wake is now looking a bit wobbly. So does Carolina, but I like their superior talent. At home, they should win by more than a touchdown.

Mike Says: Upset city.

Havens Says: This is a great matchup between a bunch of talent (UNC) and a cohesive team (Wake). Unfortunately, at the college level talent can really make up for a lack of chemistry and I think UNC wins but only by a field goal.

NCState @ FSU (-19.5)

Picking the ugly stepsister of NC: Mike

Picking the sort of hot, but trashy stepsister of Fla: Pierce, Kendall, Havens

Pierce Says: NC State is really really really bad. I'm still shocked we lost to them. Sigh.

Kendall Says: I saw it with my own two eyes: NC State SUCKS. (We just sucked a little worse on Saturday.)

Mike Says: flying high off that big win. Fsu takes risks. Nc state capitalizes.

Havens Says: NCST is flying high but terrible and FSU is not us. They smack the wolfpack down


Clemson (-4) @ GT

Picking the sister-kissers: Everybody!

Picking the nerds: Nobody.

Pierce Says: Woooooo Al Groh sucks.

Kendall Says: Georgia Tech is now exposed, and this does not look like the standard-issue choke on a chicken bone Clemson team.

Mike Says: By a lot.

Havens Says: The past couple games Clemson has started off slow which could cause problems if they do again against GT but I dont think they do and this one is not close.


VT (-15.5) @ Duke

Picking the worst part of the Commonwealth: Kendall, Havens

Picking the worst part of Durham: Pierce, Mike

Pierce Says: Upset special! (Is it an upset if the Devils beat this spread?)

Kendall Says: Only 15.5? Seriously, Vegas?

Mike Says: Pick up your jaws bitches.

Havens Says: Duke sucks. Enough said.


Syracuse @ Louisville (-3)

Picking the guys unlucky enough to live in upstate NY: Everyone.

Picking the guys unlucky enough to live in Kentucky: Nobody.

Pierce Says: Cuse looks good. Young QB though. Letdown game for the Cards.

Kendall Says: They really, really impressed me against West Virginia last Friday night. That Orange team looks tough and balanced. Louisville looks about like Virginia -- still a couple of years away, with a young QB that is prone to making mistakes. 'Cuse is just in a more advanced stage of rebuilding, and I think Doug Marrone is legit.

Mike Says: Louisville has a good defense. But not that good. Cuse is riding high.

Havens Says: That beat down of WVU was pretty impressive and I am worried they might have a bit of a let down this week but I think they still get it done.

BC @ UMD (-7.5)

Picking the Jesuits: Kendall

Picking the "What's a Jesuit?": Pierce, Havens, Mike

Pierce Says: BC hasn't kept it within single digits against any non-UMass team this season.

Kendall Says: I detect a faint pulse, and I would really love to see UMD spit the bit in a should-win home game like this. This is a wishful thinking pick, but I like cutting against the grain every now and again.

Mike Says: Enjoy your last win of the season.

Havens Says: I want to pick BC so badly because Maryland is just not very good but I think they get it done at home. If nothing else maybe my pick will jinx them and they lose.


BONUS LOCKS:

Pierce:
Baylor @ OK St (-14). I'd take double this spread.
Wisconsin (-7) @ OSU. Bouncing back after a heartbreaker - run run run the ball.

Kendall:
Stanford (-7.5) @ USC -- Trojan heads are all swole up from beating Notre Dame, but this Stanford team is a different kind of breed. The march continues. The Cardinal is 7-0, and 7-0 against the spread. I'd be an idiot not to ride that train until it derails.
Oklahoma (-13.5) @ Kansas State -- *UPSET SPECIAL!* Love home underdogs, and K-State suddenly has more to play for than does Chokelahoma. I'm probably wrong with this pick, but give me my style points. K-State is a surprising 7-0 and 5-2 ATS. They are the new Kansas (which used to be bettor's paradise ATS.)

Mike:
West Virginia (-7) at rutgers. West Virginia picks up its few remaining teeth after getting kicked in the mouth by Syracuse.
Wisco (-7) at the horseshoe (OSU). Rookie qb plus angry wisco equals jump around.

Havens:
Wisconsin(-7) @ Ohio St- tough loss last week at michigan st meaning wisconsin is going to look for someone to beat up on. Come on down depleted and undertalented ohio st team.
Baylory @ OSU(-14)- I think Baylor is a pretty good team but have you seen OSU this season. In Stillwater I dont think this one is close..

Never Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment