Pages

June 8, 2012

Crazy-Early Point Spreads...

...for all 12 UVA football games, courtesy of Beyond the Bets:

Tap it HERE for the entire list.


9/1 -- Richmond at Virginia (-28.5)
We'll win this game, but Richmond is a quality FCS outfit and I don't see us beating them by 4+ touchdowns.  Maybe something to the effect of 38-14, but this spread is too high.  I'm betting Richmond and taking the points in this one.

9/8 -- Penn State at Virginia (-2.5)
Wow, we're favored against the Nits?  I know they have to replace a lot, will be playing under a dark cloud, and will be in just their second game under the new coaching staff...  But, wow.  In my gut, I think we'll win this game.  Calling it 20-17, so I guess I'm taking Virginia and laying the points.  Wow.

9/15 -- Virginia at Georgia Tech (-9)
Yeah, the revenge-minded Wreck is going to be eager to crush us in Atlanta.  However, I think we have the recipe for hanging with them now, and that's as easy as attacking Al Groh's so-so defense off tackle, controlling the ball, and limiting possessions for the triple option.  I agree with Beyond the Bets' point spread here, but I am taking Virginia and the points in this one.  Not sure if we'll win the game against GT, but I am confident we'll at least be within a score at the end of the game.  Let's say 24-20, GT.

9/22 -- Virginia at TCU (-13.5)
Feels about right.  It's really difficult to see us going to Forth Worth and beating the Frogs, especially just seven days after dealing with all of those cut blocks GT will throw at us.  No matter how much turmoil TCU has seen this offseason, it's still a quality team and program, at least a notch above where we are right now on the college football totem pole.  In this one, I'm taking the Frogs to beat the spread.  TCU 31, UVA 14.

9/29 -- Louisiana Tech at Virginia (-6)
Casual fans won't realize it, but this is a dangerous game.  Just like - in fact, almost identical to - the Southern Miss game last year.  LT will give us a tough test in front of a lethargic home crowd.  I think we'll ultimately beat this spread, but just barely.  30-23, Virginia.

10/6 -- Virginia (-6) at Duke
I never like facing a home underdog, but that's what Beyond the Bets predicts here, and that's about what I see unfolding as well.  Wishing and hoping we're beyond the point of having to worry about beating Duke, but common sense would say take nothing for granted with Virginia Football.  We lost in Durham in 2010, 55-48.  I don't see the same kind of shootout happening in this game, but Duke knows how to air it out and our team's weak point figures to be the secondary, so you never know.  I think we'll be able to pound them on the ground and eek out the win, but I'm taking Duke to cover.  UVA 31, Duke 26.

10/13 -- Maryland at Virginia (-8.5)
I think Mike London fully understands how important the DC-Metro area is for recruiting, and I also think he understands what it takes to stomp on a rival when they're down.  We crush the Terps at home in front of a spirited audience.  Take the Hoos all day in this one.  35-10, Virginia.

10/20 -- Wake Forest at Virginia (-6)
Pshew, this one makes me nervous.  Wake is an opponent that our fans don't normally get very amped about playing, and it's a team we often come out looking flat against.  Do I think we can beat Wake Forest?  Of course I do!  Do I think we will, given the organic ebb and flow of the season?  Ehhh... not sure about that one.  For purposes of this exercise, I'm picking Wake to cover this 6-point spread.  Call it 21-20, UVA.

11/3 -- Virginia at North Carolina State (-9)
The Wolfpack has our number, folks.  However, I like this game coming off the bye week, and I like that we'll have similar talent levels on the field.  Not saying we'll get it done, but I do like our chances.  That said, I think we go 1-1 in the two-game stretch against Wake and State, so since I picked us to beat Wake, gotta go with a loss here.  We beat that damn 9-point spread, though.  29-23, NC State.

11/10 -- Miami (FL) at Virginia (-1)
Bold line here, Beyond the Bets.  Bold, and I love it.  Miami continues to be down, and we play confident in our games against them --- we're 4-4 against the Canes since they joined the ACC.  Three of our four losses to Miami have been by 10 points, 8 points, and by 7 points in overtime.  They're one and oly blowout of us occurred in 2009, when we were at our lowest point in the last 25 years.  My point: we play the Hurricanes tough, and DAMN RIGHT we're going to beat them this season.  Great call, Beyond the Bets.  28-24, Hoos.

11/15 -- North Carolina at Virginia (-3)
Yikes.  Short week to prepare for the Tarholes after just playing a tough game against athletically-gifted Miami.  Not an easy five-day turnaround.  However, we're at home that whole time, while UNC has to come here... and they have a short week of their own... and they are coming off a game against cut-blocking Georgia Tech the weekend before this Thursday nighter.  Given that, I like our chances in this game, and I think this line is dead-on perfect.  26-23, Virginia.

11/24 -- Virginia at Virginia Tech (-14)
It's going to happen soon, but not this year.  Not in Lane, and not with Logan Thomas under center.  Sorry guys, but that 38-0 shellacking really resonated with me.  I do, however, think we'll be able to show some improvement by giving the Hokies a competitive game.  We won't beat this spread, but we'll fight harder than we have since 2008's 17-14 loss.  Virginia Tech 34, Virginia 17.


Beyond the Bets is predicting an 8-4 (5-3) record for the Hoos.  That's Sun Bowl / Belk Bowl / Music City Bowl territory.  That would represent a very good "solidifying" season, and would honestly exceed my own expectations for this season, which float somewhere around that 6-7-8 win area.


No comments:

Post a Comment