Pages

January 24, 2012

Tim Thomas Stiffs the White House

I know this is a UVA blog but I need to get something off my chest here so we are going to venture into the realm of the NHL for a minute. The Boston Bruins, last year's Stanley Cup Champions, visited the White House this week and one prominent member was conspicuosly absent. During his speech President Obama made reference to one player in particular, one of only two Americans on the Bruins roster that season, and a rare American Stanley Cup MVP. That player was Tim Thomas. The quote is below:
Tim Thomas posted two shutouts in the Stanley Cup Finals and set an all-time record for saves in the postseason and he also earned the honor being only the second American ever to be recognized as the Stanley Cup playoff's MVP


There was only one problem. Tim Thomas wasn't there. Just as a refresher for those of you that don't know me that well I grew up literally right across the River from Washington, so this might make me a little more upset than most just becuase I get beaten over the head with political stuff on a daily basis. To me this is a huge sign of disrespect to your country. Thomas released a statement that amounted to his decision not to go being based on his belief that the Executive branch has gained too much power, and while I respect his beliefs, I think that you honor the office of the president, especially if you are one of the lone Americans on your team and probably one of the best known American hockey players period. Lots of people disagree with any president, but in my opinion it's still and huge honor and you still respect the office and go.

4 comments:

  1. Another prima donna with absolutely no clue as to the current state of the union other than what he hears on talk radio-Glenn Beck is his idol. Wish he was Canadian....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If our President were Republican, Fox News would be calling for Thomas' terrorist head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Mike. Totally lame gesture. So disrespectful, not only to the President, but also to your teammates -- this move distracted from what should have been a happy day for the Bruins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caps beat the Bruins last night even without Alex the Great. Democracy wins.

    ReplyDelete