Pages

December 25, 2011

Lumps of Coal

You've already seen my brief post about KT Harrell leaving the basketball program.  By now, I'm sure you've heard the same is true about James Johnson.  If not, here's the blurb:

James Johnson Leaving Virginia Basketball Program
Redshirt freshman forward is planning to transfer
CHARLOTTESVILLE—Virginia men’s head basketball coach Tony Bennett announced on Saturday (Dec. 24) that redshirt freshman forward James Johnson (Wildomar, Calif.) is leaving the Cavaliers’ program.
“I met with James this morning (Saturday, Dec. 24) and he informed me that he would be transferring,” Bennett said. “I wish him well. Obviously with KT Harrell yesterday and James today deciding not to continue at Virginia I am disappointed. But with that being said, if James and KT feel it’s best for them not to be here I think it’s better for everyone to part ways.”
The 6-9 Johnson has played in six games this season, scoring nine points and grabbing eight rebounds. He redshirted during the 2010-11 season.
“I love and respect all the individuals that make up the Virginia basketball program,” Johnson said. “They helped me grow in so many ways. The support and love they showed me was unbelievable and it will be very hard to leave this group. However, I feel strongly that it is in my best interest to pursue other opportunities. I will miss the guys on the team as well as the coaching staff a lot and I hope they have a great season.” 


A bummer, for sure.

If you're wondering about the timing of these two departures, I might be able to help.  Simply put, KTH and JJ have transferred now so that they can enroll at their new schools in time for the spring semester... which makes them able to begin playing in January 2013, after their mandatory year of sitting out.

Why are they transferring?  Simply put, they are candyasses.  Sorry to be so blunt about that, but after being passed on the depth chart and in the playing time pecking order by Malcolm Brogdon and Darion Atkins, both true freshman, neither KTH nor JJ were willing to stick around, see through their commitments to the Virginia program, and fight for a role on the team.

Our basketball program is still in the thick of the rebuilding process, and will be for another 2+ years, while Tony Bennett gets a full cycle of his own hand-picked players into and through the program.  The systems have to take root before things can really stabilize.  Attrition is a necessary evil for a rebuilding program, especially one with tenets like disciplined defense and patient shot selection at the heart of the systems being installed.  Bennettball is not for everyone, I'm sure it's not especially "fun" to play, and I'm sure the players toiling to earn their places but still falling behind the learning curve are going to get frustrated and potentially cut and run if they are not made of stern enough stuff.  Their departures open up scholarships with which to recruit players who might be better fits or better suited for the specific rigors of Bennettball.  At first blush this recent attrition might be alarming, but I think it's all part of the process of building a program.

For me, this is still an NCAA Tournament or BUST season, especially since it seems like next year is destined to be a half-step-back campaign with such little frontcourt depth returning on the roster.

Meanwhile, look for Bennett to add another player to the 2012 class -- we now badly need another big man in the mix for next season.


The big red bust.

5 comments:

  1. This sucks. I agree that these dudes are feather-soft, but this is still a blow to a team trying to make the tourney. How will this affect our depth going forward this season? I assume it's gonna hurt.

    As far as I'm concerned, this is a pretty big blemish on Coach Bennett's resume here. Losing 2 guys midseason? A stronger coach would have a better relationship with his players. Bennettball isn't sexy, but it seems to be working. That being said, you need to have players who want to play your system, and I don't think a lot of kids want to play this kind of hoops. I really hope this isn't a personality thing with the coach and really is just these two dudes being pansies.

    Sort of reminds me of the immense turmoil I'm witnessing (with glee) up here in Baltimore with Randy Edsall and the Maryland football program. We're no where near as bad off as the gridiron Terps, but this is still concerning.

    I'm with you on the NCAA tourney or bust thing, Kendall. I'm not ready to start calling for Bennett's job yet, but he needs to show that he can get through to the players he has right now. Coaching isn't all about X's and O's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I saw Steele Stanwick at the YMCA today. I'm not nerdy enough to recognize him by face, but he had the official #6 shorts on...checked the website, it was definitely him. 6 foot my ass, dude's like 5'9". A wizard with that stick, tho...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand where you're coming from Paul, I totally do. I'm just not that worried about it... yet. Bennett [along with most coaches] wants to run eight-deep, maybe nine. This season, we have Zeglinski, Evans, Brogdon, Jesperson (I'm guessing the redshirt is burned to replace KTH in the rotation), Harris, Scott, Sene, Mitchell, and Atkins (whose time should continue to increase). That's nine. Eight if the 'shirt stays on Jesperson. It's one body less than ideal in the backcourt, but I think the rotation is fine, if a tiny bit tighter.

    Meanwhile, Bennett can now wield two extra scholarships on the recruiting trail -- a real weapon, and the kind of recruiting flexibility that allows him to bring in a player or two who simply have talent, regardless of position.

    It didn't seem like Harrell or Johnson were destined to be anything more than role players. So like with the transfer of Billy Baron and Will Regan last year, it hurts the depth chart, but doesn't really disturb the trajectory of the team in any profound way.

    Now, if guys getting starter's minutes or guys hand-picked top be UVA stars start to transfer, that's reason for worry. Like, if Joe Harris decides to transfer (God forbid), raise the red flag. But not yet. Wait and see how Bennett responds and reacts to these two attrites, then we can decide if this is a big problem.

    My guess is that we add a big man to the 2012 class, and another combo guard to the 2013 class. Not worried; excited to see how it shakes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Bennett announced today that Jesperson is going to play. Good, can't wait to see the Mr. Basketball from the state of Wisconsin lighting it up from bonusphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kendall. I'm looking forward to the ACC schedule.

    ReplyDelete