Pages

July 14, 2011

Those Zany Steelers

I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan, God help me.  Over the course of the last six years, I've had to endure holier-than-thou Steelers fans lambasting me for my team's players' transgressions.  Crimes against humanity like Chris Henry buying a keg for his [underage] cousin's party, Odell Thurman's drunk in public, Chris Henry's carrying a concealed firearm, and Eric Steinbach's drunk boating.  Bad stuff, sure.

Turnabout is fair play, and the karmic shift is a real pisser, isn't it Steelers fans?

Here's what the black and gold has been up to this offseason...


Rashard Mendenhall didn't break any laws, but he proved himself to be a real winner and a true American with a series of tweets the week following the death of Osama Bin Laden, including:

We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style


Right.  Good stuff, Rashard.  Way to be a patriot, living in the nation whose economic system and sports insanity allows you to rake in millions of dollars for playing a game... and not particularly well, I might add.


And there's Dancing with the Stars superstar and all around swell guy Hines Ward, busted for a DUI.




And now, my second favorite Steeler of all time, James Harrison, with this gem of an article in Men's Journal (of all places).


A few of my favorite "Hitman" quotes from the article:

On being branded as a thug:


“My rep is James Harrison, mean son of a bitch who loves hitting the hell out of people,” he says. “But up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty — till Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”

On high and low hits:

“I get dinged about three times a year and don’t know where I am for a little minute. But unless I’m asleep, you’re not getting me out of the game, and most guys feel the same way. If a guy has a choice of hitting me high or low, hit me in the head and I’ll pay your fine. Just don’t hit me in the knee, ‘cause that’s life-threatening. How’m I going to feed my family if I can’t run?”

On the 2004 season:

“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”

On the two interceptions thrown by Ben Roethlisberger in last year’s Super Bowl:

“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

On Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu:

“He’s the one guy in football I respect absolutely, ‘cause he’s spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin’. He’s so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his ass, and Goodell would smile and say thank you.”

Ahh, classy.  I'm sure your [fucking] teammates are super psyched about some of those comments.


I know Wahooze is not really the correct forum for this kind of thing, but second to being punched in the face in Blacksburg, this is my worst sports-related memory in my lifetime:



So yeah, I'm going to be immature, take the low road, and do a little grave dancing on the Steelers whenever appropriate.  (Turns out, the Hierarchy of Hatred didn't quite release all of my venom.)
 
 
Oh, and by the way... THANKS AGAIN, Green Bay Packers.

No comments:

Post a Comment