Pages

November 6, 2010

Duke 55, UVA 48

It was a weird, weird game today.  I don't have a ton of thoughts fleshed out, but here's what I could scrape together...

  • Penalties, turnovers, and poor defense doomed us today.
  • Rebuilding a foundation, there are going to be head-scratching days like this.  Days when so much goes right... and so much more goes wrong.
  • I'm not going to lie --- losing to Duke pisses me off.  And to lose to Duke for the third year in a row?  It's shameful.
  • Congratulations to Dontrelle Inman, who broke Herman Moore's single game UVA receiving record (234 yards).  Inman had 10 receptions for 239 yards and a TD today.  And you know what?  I think he looks like an NFL receiver.  5th/6th rounder, maybe?
  • We've been missing Ras-I Dowling all season, and today playing without Chase Minnifield, the secondary was just a mess.
  • Our defense is a big problem.  But I'm totally willing to suspend judgement until after next season.  It takes time to switch defensive schemes and transition so many players to new positions.  I just hope my fellow Virginia fans can keep the same level of patience I'm achieving with this process.
  • Shame on everyone who, after the Miami win, dared to mutter the "B" word in reference to this year's football team.  (The "B" word = "bowl.")  We're not nearly good enough to even consider the possibility of seven wins.  Right now, I'm just praying we get to five.
  • If you feel anger over today's loss and need to direct it somewhere, please allow me to suggest you direct it toward Al Groh.  He's the one who dug this bottomless pit that Mike London is trying to pull us out of.
  • I never thought I'd see the day when UVA rang up 643 yards of offense in an ACC game.  I'm waiting to pass judgement on Jim Reid, but I'm willing to be hasty with Bill Lazor.  The dude can flat create and lead a college offense, and I'm stoked to have him calling plays for the Hoos.
  • Mobile QBs kill us.  Tyrod Taylor is licking his chops.
  • Another week, and another nice trick play on special teams.  This week, it was a fake field goal that produced a touchdown.  I love it!
  • I was really happy to see Perry Jones finally get into the end zone.
  • I don't like that we lost this game, but I'm proud of the team for battling back from a double-digit deficit, twice.  Especially on a day where we were clearly flat, and our opponent was fired up.
  • This might sound crazy, but I think losing today might help us beat Maryland next weekend.  We should come out angry and looking to make a statement in our last home game of the season.


Chin up, guys.  Rebuilding is a roller-coaster.  And we lost... but at least we lost with style.

GO HOOS!

1 comment:

  1. I did not see a lot of the game via ESPN 3 but following the stats I saw 3 picks that = 3 TD's for them. I'm looking for some QB feedback from the game. I have to believe that our young QB's just have not shown ANYTHING in practice or it's possible that even the coaching staff was thinking prior to today that we could get to seven wins and Verica gave us the best chance. With that clearly out of the picture do you see a QB move in the future?

    ReplyDelete