Pages

January 6, 2014

I love football...

...and I love UVA and the Cincinnati Bengals.  Maybe that dooms me to a future of never-ending disappointment and despair, but I've gone on too long (26 years and counting) to jump ship now.

Dark times for the Virginia Football program, trying to maintain interest amid what is a near certainty to be a lame duck season for Mike London.  But here I am, tracking the coaching changes, following recruiting, set to renew my season tickets for God knows what reason.  2014 is sure to be a complete fucking disaster, but there's always the next coach, the next QB, the next chance to rise from the ashes like a glorious phoenix and write the best football story ever told.

Today feels like a funeral for the Bengals.  8-0 at home in the regular season, stars aligned to face what appeared to be [by far] the NFL's weakest playoff team in the Chargers, and then shit the bed in Paul Brown Stadium.  Now, after what has to be considered a wildly successful regular season, there is very real, very scary existential debate over our head coach and "franchise" quarterback.  That loss is on Andy Dalton (well, maybe a little bit on Gio Bernard for that fumble and A.J. Green from that drop.)  But it's just like with UVA -- we have no choice but to embrace what we have at quarterback, because there are no real alternatives.  I'm ride or die with the Red Rifle just like I'm about to be ride or die with Greyson Lambert.  (And if the starting quarterback is David Watford, well, I guess that's a fate worse than death.)

Today, I'm just trying to recover.  I wish I didn't wager so much of my own personal happiness on the success or failure of two football programs I have zero impact upon, but that investment is no longer within my sphere of control.  Guess I'll just set my chin for the furneral in Cincinnati and the next 11 months of lame duckness in Charlottesville.


4 comments:

  1. At least your boys don't tease you by going 15-1 and then shitting the bed, or by letting Colin Kapernick run wherever he pleases for two years in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendall my only silver lining is this. At least it wasn't the Steelers that Bengals shit the bed against. Hey we have four teams down in the AFC in the Marvin Lewis era that we have lost too in the playoffs. Only 11 more bed shittings to go before we are allowed to win a playoff game. Too bad we doubled up on the Texans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing there is zero chance the Bengals will bring in another QB next year? I see from the .com's roster page that they have youngish backups (Josh Johnson, Zac Robinson, and Greg McElroy). No competition there. A semi-splashy FA acquisition doesn't seem to fit the team's personality, either. So, I guess you're right. You're pot committed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No chance. That being said. He will be available to be extended next year, and it will be interesting to see if what they do there. I don't know that they commit 5 years 15 mill per for the guy. I would like to see them bring in a QB coach o get in this guys head. There is a better possibility that there is a head coach change as this is the fourth playoff appearance in a row where the team was not prepared to play. Of course there is only a slightly higher % chance of that happening.

    ReplyDelete