"Taylor has informed me that he has decided to transfer from our program," Bennett said. "His main reason is that he wants a bigger role as a player at another school. His release will be granted and we wish him well."
The 6-3 Barnette averaged 2.6 points and shot 43.2 percent (19-of-44) from 3-point range in 26 games during his freshman season at UVa in 2012-13. Barnette, who started two games for the Cavaliers, tallied a career-high 13 points in a 68-50 win over St. John's in the NIT second round.
"I am grateful for the opportunity given to me by Coach Bennett and his staff," Barnette said. "I will miss all of the great people I have had the opportunity to live life with this past year, especially all of my awesome teammates."
I have some mixed feelings here.
1) Frustrated that we can't seem to hold on to players, especially role players.
2) Excited that TB now has the "mad money" of an extra scholie to play around with.
3) Relieved that Teven Jones is now solidly part of the 4-guard rotation. I think he's probably much less of a flight risk today than he was yesterday.
4) Confident that losing a player that projected to be - at best - the 10th man in the rotation this upcoming season won't affect us too terribly much.
5) Slightly concerned about this continuing trend of attrition. Tony has overseen the premature losses of Brandenburg, Jamil Tucker, Landesberg, Spurlock, Jeff Jones, Baron, Regan, Harrell, James Johnson, Jesperson, and now Barnette. That's a lot. I'm not prepared to say that's too much, but that's a lot.