Pages

June 13, 2011

'Cavs vs. Cav-nots'


Bob Molinaro is a sportswriter and columnist for the Hampton Roads Pilot.  I hate Bob Molinaro.  He's a Hokie-loving hack who sweats negativity from his pores.

Sad about another belly-up March for VPI basketball and noticing the total and complete absence of Virginia Tech in the world of spring sports, Bob recently unleashed this gem of anti-Virginia rhetoric upon humanity.

I didn't/don't want to acknowledge this drivel with a blog post, but I do think the piece [of shit] does lead to a fairly interesting question:

Would you trade our spring success for a bit better results in football and basketball?

And a follow-up:

When it comes to athletics, would you trade spots with Virginia Tech?

Please post your answers to these questions in the comments section, below.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely no to both.

    Really though, I'm probably in the minority. Like you, K, I can get behind any UVa sport pretty darn passionately. But LAX for me has always been just as big of a deal as the revenue sports for me. National Championships and sustained dominance in something is better than being another middle of the road/good team in others.

    That being said - another reason I'd say no to both: Our time will come in both sports soon.
    While football is certainly up in the air, I definitely think we'll be decent next season (2012) (albeit still pretty bad this upcoming season). While we'll be really really good in basketball really really soon.

    I say, Lets have our cake and eat it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Pierce. While this is due to my dispassionate attitude about basketball and football and my extreme fanaticism over baseball, I think UVA will come around in the big two sports soon enough.

    Also, if we trade spots with Virginia Tech, we're trading FIVE good sports programs (three outstanding) for one-and-a-half. I also like having all of my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to say no right now, late Spring / early summer, enjoying a lacrosse national championship and watching the Hoos in Omaha.

    But what about in mid-October, when the football team is sitting at 2-4? Or in mid-February, when we're all hoping for a late season win streak and a NIT bid?

    Ultimately, I'd still say NO to both -- I like a well-rounded athletic department -- but it's really, really, really close for me. And as much as I love our lacrosse and baseball programs, NOTHING beats seeing us beat Tech in football. Nothing. Except for maybe seeing us embark on a deep run in the NCAA Tournament in March.

    Pierce, your point is an excellent one. No need to wish or to trade, because both rev sports are definitely on the right track. Especially basketball.

    ReplyDelete