Pages

October 11, 2010

Wahooze ACC Picks -- Week Seven

Week six saw a return to my winning ways when it comes to these ACC picks.

Last Week: 5-1 (4-2 ATS)

Season: 40-11 (27-17 ATS)


The Cowgirls powered their Noles to a HUGE win at Miami on Saturday.


Boston College @ Florida State (-23.0)
Yeah, it's true --- I think the Seminoles are the best team in the conference this season.  Meanwhile, I don't think BC is very good at all.  So it makes sense that the Noles would be such big favorites, playing at home... but I don't see a 23-point blowout taking shape.  Not for a noon game, with FSU coming off of such a big win.  It's a lopsided game from start to finish, but the Eagles keep the deficit inside three touchdowns.  35-17, Florida State

NC State (-7.5) @ ECU
So far this season, the Pirates (who obviously long for a spot in the ACC) lost 49-27 at Virginia Tech and 42-17 at North Carolina.  I'd say that State is roughly on par with both VT and UNC, but this game being played at East Carolina should be worth a few points for the home team.  How about an old-school style shootout in which the better team stays mostly ahead and pulls away late?  Sounds about right to me.  45-30, NC State

Maryland @ Clemson (-14.0)
Considering how these two teams have been playing, this line surprises me a little bit.  I expected to see Clemson -3 or something like that, and I was poised to jump all over the Tigers in this contest.  But 14 points?  Wow, that's a lot.  However, I'm going to stick with my gut: close game, Clemson wins.  Their superior talent will buoy them in this game.  26-23, Clemson

Miami (-17.0) @ Duke
Give me a pile of money, because I want to bet the Canes and bet them hard in this game, even giving all of these points.  Duke could potentially lure Miami into a shootout, but the Hurricanes are coming off of that embarrassing loss to their archrival in primetime... and they'll be looking to make a statement by completely smearing the Blue Devils in this game.  I'd feel bad for the Dookies if I didn't loathe them.  52-7, Miami

Middle Tennessee State @ Georgia Tech (-19.5)
Don't look now, but that triple option is whirring and clicking, and firing on all cylinders.  MTSU isn't a complete pushover, as they almost upset Minnesota and Memphis already this year, and were actually able to beat Maryland a couple of years ago.  But GT is a better team than any of those three I just mentioned, and the Blue Raiders are simply outclassed here.  I don't think the Ramblin' Wreck will put forth their most inspired effort however, so MTSU should be able to score some points and put up at least a little bit of a fight.  41-20, GT

Wake Forest @ Virginia Tech (-22.5)
Tech is now in the process of tearing through the tissue paper portion of their schedule.  Wake is the next maché balloon to be gouged and crushed by the ultra-aggressive Hokie defense and steamrolling rushing attack.  Some teams might have a few answers to what Tech likes to do, but just like the Central Michigan game, Wake is too riddled with imperfection to be able to hang for very long.  38-14, VT

North Carolina (-6.5) @ Virginia
Two things I love about this game: 1) Carolina hasn't beaten us in Charlottesville since 1981, and 2) the 6:00 kickoff guarantees us a spirited and lively home crowd.  I have a very strong feeling that we're about to see what Mike London football is truly all about, and the Hoos will come out fired up and flying around the field.  After a three game stretch that has seen UNC stabilize itself after all of the off-field drama, I like the Hoos to put many of the pieces together and stun the favored Tarheels.  Home underdogs to a hated rival... I love it!  23-19, Virginia


BONUS PICK: Ohio State (-4.5) @ Wisconsin
I couldn't resist this one, since it's an upset brewing clear as day.  The Badgers will win this game, and put us all on the absolutely bizarre trajectory of an Oregon/Boise national championship game.  20-17, Wisconsin

No comments:

Post a Comment