Pages

September 1, 2010

Wahooze ACC Picks -- Week One

"F-L-O-R-I-D-A-S-T-A-T-E, Florida State, Florida State, woooooooooooo!"


(Point spreads courtesy of Caesar's Palace / Harrah's / Rio.)

Presbyterian @ Wake Forest (no line)
Presbyterian?  The "Blue Hose*?"  This team went 0-11 last year, in a lower division of college football.  Wake in a walk.  49-3, Wake

Florida A&M @ Miami (-39.0)
The U trounced the Rattlers last year, 48-16.  I see more of the same this year... which is (again) not enough to beat that monstrous spread.  48-16, Miami

Samford @ Florida State (-33.0)
Yet another early season tune-up game for an ACC powerhouse.  Samford gave UCF a battle in last year's season opener, and the 'Noles notoriously play down to their competition in these sorts of games.  But still... it's Florida State.  The two chicks pictured above are worth 14 points, each.  And don't forget --- this is Jimbo Fisher's first game at the helm.  He'll want to make a statement.  65-10, FSU

South Carolina State @ Georgia Tech (-30.0)
I'm beginning to feel a little bit embarassed for the ACC's "glamor" teams on opening weekend.  Talk about cupcakes.  At least Virginia Tech is playing a marquee game this weekend.  As for Bulldogs vs. Yellow Jackets... I hope that stupid GT 3-4 defense falls flat.  But it won't.  It'll look great.  And GT will roll.  38-17, GT

Weber State @ Boston College (-22.5)
Grrrrrrr.  34-7, BC

North Texas @ Clemson (-22.0)
At least North Texas is an FBS school.  This game shouldn't be close, as Kyle Parker should easily gun Clem's son to a win.  33-6, Clemson

Western Carolina @ NC State (-30.5)
Guys like Christian Ponder and Tyrod Taylor get the hype, but I like Russell Wilson just as much.  He'll pace State along in this early season bloodletting.  53-13, State

Richmond @ Virginia (-6.0)
6 point favorites in a season opener against a FCS team.  Pretty embarassing.  But hey, Richmond is a pretty damn good FCS team.  This game will be a battle.  I said it back in June and I'll stick by it:  24-16, Virginia

Elon @ Duke (-7.5)
This is a very interesting line to me.  Elon has a pretty good team, and Duke is trying to move forward without Thaddeus Lewis at QB.  I actually like the Phoenix to beat the spread here.  28-24, Duke

LSU (-4.5) vs. North Carolina
Finally, a big game to kick off the ACC season.  These are two schitzophrenic teams -- LSU is up and down under Les Miles and UNC wins the offseason but sputters a bit when the rubber hits the road.  I love the Tarhole defense this year, but LSU always puts superior athletes on the field... on both sides of the ball.  Carolina has a ton of talent (much of it likely to be suspended for academic fraud and/or dabbling with agents), but I just don't see them beating a good SEC team at this point.  34-18, LSU

Navy (-7.0) vs. Maryland
Die Twerps!  I love that Navy is favored in this game.  I'm sure the neutral site helps the spread a little bit, but I honestly think Maryland will end up being the worst team in the conference this season.  Navy, meanwhile, is primed for another 9+ win season.  24-13, Navy

Boise State (-2.5) vs. Virginia Tech
It'll be a veritable home game for the Hokies, but don't forget that Boise returns 21 starters on a team that went 14-0 last season.  Tech's running game will be amazing, and Tirerod will be effective, and that defense is never bad.  This game could be decided on special teams, where VT gets the hype, but where Boise boasts the most success in recent history.  All of my logic tells me to pick the Broncos... but my gut (not to be confused with, but probably associated with my IBS) tells me Tech will win this game.  Yes, picking the Hokies can sometimes give me indigestion.  31-28, VT


* "Blue Hose???"  What the hell?  Of course, I did some internet research.  Apparently, according to the team's media guide, "A Blue Hose is a fierce Scotch-Irish warrior. If you have ever seen the movie Braveheart, you have seen a true Blue Hose."  Gotcha.

No.



Yes.


The line must be drawn HERE.  Go Blue Hose!

No comments:

Post a Comment