Pages

September 28, 2010

Wahooze ACC Picks -- Week Five

More good juju last week.  I'm in a groove, baby.

Last Week: 6-2 (5-1 ATS)

Season: 31-7 (21-10 ATS)


My record is so good, even the Cowgirls are impressed.


Miami (-3.0) @ Clemson
Miami showed that they are the class of the ACC last week, by pounding Pitt on the road.  Clemson has had two weeks to lick its wounds after that tough-to-swallow overtime loss @ Auburn.  I expect to see a spirited, hard-fought game here.  In the end, I just think the U has the slight edge in talent and momentum.  Canes win the squeaker, and barely beat the spread in the process.  31-26, Miami

Florida State (-7.5) @ Virginia
This line shows that the Hoos are actually getting some love from Vegas.  Both teams are on the rise in their rebuilding efforts, but FSU just needed some shingles replaced and a new coat of paint, whereas UVA needed to lay some new brick and mortar and cobble together a fresh foundation.  These are two teams in different stages of the reinvention process, and FSU's elite quarterback will power them to a relatively easy win after UVA puts up a nice first half fight.  I don't think we have an answer for Christian Ponder, especially not with Ras-I Dowling and Rodney McLeod not at the top of their games.  34-14, Florida State

Virginia Tech (-3.5) @ NC State
NC State is 4-0, looking great, and has been installed as home underdogs this weekend.  WHAAAAAT?!?  I'm only betting with my reputation, but I'm all in on State this weekend.  I love home 'dogs in games that seem pretty close on paper.  Of course, if Virginia Tech is truly surging like they showed at BC, I could be wrong.  At the end of the day, I think Russell Wilson trumps Tyrod Taylor.  27-24, NC State

ECU @ North Carolina (-17.0)
Two weeks ago, ECU gave Virginia Tech a battle only to see the Hokies pull away late.  I see the same sort of game here, with two differences: 1) With two weeks to prepare for the game, ECU will have a few more tricks for Carolina than they did for VT, and 2) UNC isn't as good as Virginia Tech.  No way will UNC beat this spread.  No way.  I think they'll win the game, but no way will they beat this spread.  31-23, North Carolina

Duke @ Maryland (-10.0)
Last week, Duke laid an egg and was rolled by Army while Maryland manhandled a pretty solid FIU team.  I think there is a [slight?] talent differential here, one which will likely be exacerbated by the fact that the Terps are playing in front of the home crowd.  This 10 point spread feels right.  However, I've got a gut feeling that Sean Renfree will be able to move Duke's offense in this game, and create a bit of a shootout... the likes of which Maryland isn't equipped to handle.  35-31, Duke

Georgia Tech (-14.0) @ Wake Forest
Georgia Tech was exposed by NC State last week.  Meanwhile, Wake Forest wasn't exposed, because everyone already knew that they are pretty crappy this year.  The Ramblin' Wreck will win this game that nobody really cares about.  37-21, Georgia Tech

Notre Dame (-1.5) @ Boston College
BC has a golden opportunity to claim a little bit of respect for the conference.  Notre Dame, meanwhile, will be desperate for a W.  Montel Harris hasn't been as dominant as I expected him to be this season, but I think he'll find plenty of running room against the Irish.  28-24, BC

No comments:

Post a Comment