Pages

April 10, 2010

Pre-Pre-Preseason ACC Hoops Power Rankings

From Andrew Skwara, from the ACC Sports Journal:

Pre-Pre-Preseason ACC Hoops Power Rankings


Like I said, I'm stuck on basketball. I'm just finding this ongoing transition from Leitao to Bennett to be... so... damn... interesting...

Anyway, on the topic of the overall state of the ACC ----- I actually think the conference will be stronger next season, from top to bottom. Duke, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Maryland, and Wake Forest will all most certainly take at least a small step back from their 2009-10 performances. But Virginia Tech, Florida State, North Carolina, NC State, Boston College should all be markedly improved.

I think Skwara took a good stab at it in his article for the ACC Sports Journal. Here's my attempt at a pre-pre-preseason power ranking:

1) Duke. They just cakewalked to the national championship, but I think they'll be even better in 2010-11. Singler should be back, and Nolan Smith is the team's perimeter star. The Plumlees should take the next step with more playing time, and as usual, the recruiting class is amazingly talented.

2) Virginia Tech. No way Delaney goes to the NBA; he's just testing the waters right now. Besides, I don't even think he's the Hokies' best player. That distinction is reserved for Dorenzo Hudson. Allan Chaney should be a very important x-factor for this team.

3) North Carolina. I really like what I saw from John Henson during the Tarholes' NIT run. He should emerge as a bonafide star next season. Barnes, Bullock, and especially Kendall Marshall will bolster UNC's weaknesses in the backcourt.

4) Boston College. All five [rock solid] starters return, and a new coach should add that extra twist to make BC tougher to deal with.

5) NC State. I'm not sure Sidney Lowe has the coaching chops to get State out of the cellar, but Tracy Smith and an improved backcourt can cure a lot of ills.

6) Florida State. I think they'll lose Solomon Alabi, and he's an impossible talent to replace. Their defense will still be good enough to buoy them in the top half of the league.

7) Miami. I love the combination of Durand Scott and Malcolm Grant in the backcourt, with DeQuan Jones on the wing. They'll need to find some bigs if they want to challenge for the NCAA Tournament.

8) Clemson. They need a coach and someone to replace Trevor Booker. Demontez Stitt and Jerai Grant form at least a decent nucleus to build around.

9) Maryland. They lost A LOT, but I think Jordan Williams is ready to emerge as a star, and Sean Mosley can provide a steadying influence on a young team. They'll be competitive.

10) Virginia. Yeah, I'm a homer. But at the very root of my being I truly believe that Harrell+Harris+Baron+Johnson+Regan > Landesberg+Meyinsse+Jones+Baker+Spurlock. Year two of the Tony Bennett era should give us a team that has embraced and become efficient at running the pack line defense, and that alone will be good enough to steal a few wins. I also believe in Sammy Zeglinski and Mike Scott stepping forward as key players.

11) Georgia Tech. When enigmatic Iman Shumpert and Mfon Udofia form the nuclues of your returnees, you're in trouble. Paul Hewitt's coaching alone guarantees a few extra losses.

12) Wake Forest. Next year is setting up to be an unmitigated disaster for the Deacs.

No comments:

Post a Comment