Pages

September 8, 2009

The List...

The only thing keeping me off the ledge right now is my potential head coaches list. I hope it can save you like it's saving me...

I encourage you to hunker down and dig up some info on these guys. Try to find a chance to read about their teams or better yet, watch their teams play.

If you have any other names to add to the list, please let me know.


Mike London, Richmond
Ideal in a lot of ways, but he's too aligned with Al Groh for my tastes. I'd like a complete and total clean break from the Groh regime. If you're going to clean the house, then clean the effing house.

Troy Calhoun, Air Force
I really like the idea of this guy. But could we ever pry him away from his "dream job" at the AFA?

Derek Dooley, Louisiana Tech
Hasn't really proven himself yet, but he'll be out of our league once he does.

Todd Graham, Tulsa
He's a spread guy with a nice history of success, but I've got a feeling some of the "big boys" will come calling after this season.

Turner Gill, Buffalo
I think he's just a pipe dream for us. Kind of like basketball coach Anthony Grant.

Skip Holtz, ECU
I'm no fan of the Holtz family, but Skip is getting it done at ECU. (Sort of.) I doubt the administration would like to screw over Terry Holland by stealing his head football coach.

Larry Fedora, Southern Miss
Another disciple of the almighty spread. He's pumping some real life into the USM program right now... (as we'll see when the Golden Eagles beat us down in two weeks.)

Kevin Sumlin, Houston
He's from the Stoops coaching tree, and is doing very good things at Houston.

Randy Edsall, UConn
A Tom Coughlin protege, he's done a solid job at UConn, ushering them into D-1A and into the Big East with some success. Can you label this guy a program builder? Maybe. He wouldn't come cheap, as his current reputation far exceeds his career .492 win percentage at UConn.

Mickey Matthews, JMU
He won that D-1AA national championship and has had good recent success with the Dukes. At this point, you have to think he knows the state pretty well, after 11 seasons at JMU. Can he recruit at the highest level of college football? I have my doubts.

Jim Grobe, Wake Forest
He's the perfect fit, and there's a sliver of hope that he'd leave Wake to come home and coach his alma mater. But it's only a sliver. He has too much of a good thing going in Winston-Salem to take on this grease fire in Charlottesville.

Tommy Tuberville, (former) Auburn
Is this even a realistic possibility? I tend to doubt it. But Tuberville (one B, by the way) is a popular pick amongst the message board riff-raff, so I've thrown him onto my list to appease them. I personally think he's holding out for a marquee job and/or marquee cash.

Larry Coker, (former) Miami
I'd almost rather keep Al Groh, but Coker is a guy that Adam Gottschalk named from his "inside sources" last year, so he's on the list.

Steve Logan, (former) ECU
He had a decent run at ECU from '92-'02, and is now kicking around the NFL as a position coach. he wants to return to college coaching, but does he have the chops UVA needs after a .543 career at ECU?

Phil Fulmer, (former) Tennessee
Personally, I think this guy is a scumbag who couldn't coach his way out of a pair of flimsy Chuck-E-Cheez fingercuffs, but like Coker he's a former national championship winner with a splashy name. I'll always be a fan of Virginia Football, but seeing us hire Fulmer would really test my loyalty.

Gary Patterson, TCU
Heard on CavsCorner: "This week's game could be a job interview, according to some donors I know." Grain of salt, grain of salt, grain of salt. But Patterson is a helluva coach.

1 comment:

  1. So what makes a great coach? The perfect example of a bad one is our offensive coordinator. A coach is supposed to take the players he has and make them the best team he can. He's not supposed to try to fit them to the only offense he knows. So my hope is we don't get a gimick guy and get someone who can game plan to maximise play from the team he has.

    Side note, the TCU game is the first time in 20 years that I booed the Hoos. At the end of the half I couldn't stand to look at them. It was like watching their first practice after a long summer, not their second game. At least the tailgating is still fun.

    ReplyDelete