Pages

September 4, 2009

10 Things I Want to See Against W&M


Consider this to be a postscript to the "10 things" list from a couple of days ago. This is a list of things I want to see in the game against William & Mary. Consider this my realistic wish list for the game tomorrow.
#1 -- A blowout victory.
This is William & Mary. This is a D-2... errrr... FBS team. We should annihilate this team. I'm setting my baseline for satisfaction at a three TD margin. If we don't roll the Tribe by 21+ points, I will not be happy.
#2 -- A touchdown pass thrown by Vic Hall.
Honestly, I've been waiting four years for this. I think Vic's first TD toss will be a moment of pure elation for him and for all of the fans that have followed his career and his gross positional mis-slotting by Al Groh.
#3 -- Solid linebacker play.
If this year's defense has a glaring question mark, it's at the linebacker position, which will feature three new starters. Granted, three of the four projected starters are seniors, and should be able to avoid being exposed and deliver good performances against a smaller, slower W&M team. I need to see it before I can fully believe it.
#4 -- No [serious] injuries.
To me, any significant injury along the d-line would be the worst thing for this team coming out of the gates. But it would be great if we can get through this game and into TCU week at more or less full strength. We'll need all hands on deck to win next week.
#5 -- An offense that seems like it has a plan.
I'm not demanding a 450+ yard offensive explosion in the first game with Gregg Brandon's spread attack, but I would really like to see the O deliver the goods and move the ball consistently against the Tribe. I want to see an effective running game (4+ yards per carry), and a passing game that completes 60-65% of its throws.
#6 -- A coach fighting to save his job.
Al Groh is already burning redshirts in an attempt to win as many games as possible this season. I don't typically like seeing redshirts burned, but I do appreciate the fact that Groh is doing whatever he can to save his job. In this game, I want to see the team throw some haymakers. Take some shots downfield in the passing game, blitz like crazy on defense. Try to take command of the contest early, and get the fans pumped up with some explosive plays. Nonchalant Al Groh grind-it-out football will not excite me, nor will it send the correct message to the fanbase.
#7 -- Fans that get angry if we screw around and allow this game to stay close.
We've suffered through enough mediocrity; tolerated enough failure. Now is the time for us to be wooed back into our passion, and it all starts with what we see on the field tomorrow. If #1, #5, and #6 don't happen, I want to see unhappy fans. Nothing could be worse for this program than total fan apathy. If the product isn't there, we need to convey our displeasure in no uncertain terms.
#8 -- Successful placekicking.
Ideally, our kicker (Robert Randolph?) will only be kicking PATs tomorrow, and lots of them. But I'm not naive enough to think we won't see some drives stall in field goal territory. I want to see a competent kicking game putting points on the board reliably.
#9 -- The building of some momentum that could carry over into next week.
If we start slow, that's fine. It's been a long offseason. But I really want to see a fast finish and a killer instinct so the team can build some level of confidence heading into the pivotal TCU game.
#10 -- A team that plays mean.
I want big hits. I want jawing on the field. I want tough blocking and hard running and fighting for extra yards. I want backs who don't go down on first contact and receivers who make tough catches in traffic. I want linebackers battling through blocks, cornerbacks bumping hard at the line, ends attacking the line of scrimmage, safeties lighting up receivers over the middle. I want Dex and Latrell Scott jumping around on the sideline. I want gunners who blow up the wedge and impale the returners. I want to see a team that plays with confidence and walks around with a swagger. I want something to cheer about and a team that I can fully embrace. For too long, Virginia Football has been soft. Tomorrow is the first chance to start changing that perception.
Wow, I actually whipped myself up into a frenzy writing this.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what your next post says. I don't even know what to say about this game.

    ReplyDelete