Pages

June 10, 2009

My Top Five Moments in UVA Sports

I have a love/hate relationship with Adam Gottschalk. I don't know the dude personally, but I find his shrill little voice to be highly irritating on the radio and I think his opinions are usually way too extreme and aggressively overstated for a person who is supposedly "the voice of the fanbase." It always sort of seems like he has an axe to grind or something, and that grinding is more akin to nails on a chalkboard for me. That being said, I typically enjoy the content of his show... especially yesterday, as he was discussing and dissecting the fan reaction and excitement surrounding the baseball team's upcoming trip to Omaha for the College World Series. In an effort to identify the correct historical context for this event, Adam listed his own personal top five moments in UVA sports. (UVA baseball advancing to Omaha was #3 for him, I think.) Being older and more experienced than Adam Gottschalk; having experienced more awesome UVA sports moments; being an all-around better / more interesting / more awesome Wahoo than Adam Gottschalk, I figured this is my opportunity, nay, my responsibility to identify my own top five moments in UVA sports. So here goes...

#5 -- Virginia Baseball advances to the College World Series. UVA baseball in Omaha is a big deal, people. It's a very, very big deal. 120 years of [rarely] rich history... and this is our first-ever trip to the CWS. Heck, our little trip to Oxford to play Ole Miss was our first-ever berth in a Super Regional! A college baseball team making it to Omaha is the direct equivalent of a college basketball team making it to the Elite Eight. When you consider UVA's former sad-sack, doormat history, Coach Brian O'Connor's accomplishments go from remarkable to almost downright unbelievable. The game that clinched the CWS berth wasn't particularly awe-inspiring or miraculous. It was just another good, solid team performance in a postseason full of good, solid team performances. The team is on a roll right now, and if it can continue that roll in Omaha the 2009 baseball team might be able to add another moment to my top 5 list. But for now, baseball settles in comfortably at #5.


#4 -- Lacrosse Perfection. The 2006 Virginia Lacrosse team went wire-to-wire -- 17 games -- on it's way to a perfect season. It was an absolutely dominant outfit. In the NCAA tournament, the team won all four games by an average of 8 goals, including the 15-7 dismantling of UMass in the championship game.


#3 -- "The Comeback." If you've been following Virginia football at all over the course of the last decade-plus, the above image should be enough to spark off the same feeling of unbridled euphoria you felt 10.5 years ago. Down 29-7 at halftime, the Hoos staged the biggest comeback in school history... against their most bitter rival... on the road. Sparked by a Byron Thweatt pick six, the Hoos rallied for the 36-32 victory, capped off by Ahmad Hawkins' 43-yard touchdown reception and ensuing "thank the heavens" victory pose, as pictured above.

Wade Peery wrote a brilliant blow-by-blow review of the game in his blog for Bleacher Report. You should take five minutes and read it, and re-live the glory. I promise it'll make your entire day. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1880-1998-greatest-comeback-in-uva-football-history-uva-36-vt-32/show_full


#2 -- Sean Singletary's Point and Stare. (Good lord, I hate Dook basketball.) February 1, 2007 -- Singletary, UVA's best player this decade, hit a miracle falling fadeaway jumper over 6-foot-10 douchebag Josh McRoberts to seal a comeback victory over the hated Blue Devils. The win cemented Virginia's ascension to among the ACC's elite that season, and left us with our most enduring, endearing image of Sean Singletary. I was at the game. I didn't sleep that night, too busy watching and rewatching and rewatching the game on TiVo.



#1 -- UVA 33, FSU 28. "This nationally-televised contest was the first Thursday night game played at Scott Stadium and marked Florida State's first loss in an Atlantic Coast Conference game (after winning its first 29). In arguably the greatest victory in Virginia football history, FSU running back Warrick Dunn was stopped inches from the south end zone goal line after taking a direct snap on the game's final play. Fans stormed the field and brought down both goal posts, a feat not since repeated at Scott Stadium." It was my first year of college and I was at the game with my dear friends... I have a piece of one of those goalposts proudly displayed in my home. Not only is this game one of my top five moments in UVA sports, it was one of the top five moments of my life.

So what about you? What are your five favorite moments in UVA sports? Drop a comment and let us know!

3 comments:

  1. I was at that game...one of the three football games I went to during my student years here. I left after the 3rd quarter...I wasn't really into football, and couldn't understand what all the hoopla was about. I MET YOU TOO LATE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My top 5 definitely includes our basketball team's 2002 win over then #3 Duke on Senior Night for Chris Williams and Adam Hall. I was in the second rwo and first on the floor after the game. I thought I might get trampled to death, and the cheerleaders were all crying from being pushed around. I can still see Roger Mason, Jr. standing on the scorer's table with his hands in the air. It was unbeliable and definitely the best memory from U Hall.

    -Rook

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was definitely a great one, Rook. That image of Roger Mason on the scorer's table striking the Ahmad Hawkins pose is another one that's burned through my retinas into my brain. It was on my top 10 list (#8), but didn't quite make the cut for the top five.

    ReplyDelete