Pages

August 28, 2012

Depth Chart for the Richmond Game

The depth chart was released yesterday.  Fingerpunch it HERE to take a look-see.

A few of things stand out to me:

-- Rocco over Sims and Watford.  Could have guessed that.  But what's interesting is that Sims is listed above Watford as QB2.  London announced that a redshirt is planned for Watford.  If that kid sticks around until his 5th year season in 2015 (once Sims is gone) for his lone chance to start, I will be his biggest fan.  Talk about team-oriented thinking!

-- Canaan Severin did not crack the two-deep at receiver.  That's a surprise to me.  I thought he had shown enough to earn some burn.

-- I was right about Matt Mihalik.  Leapfrogged in the pecking order by younger players with more tangible upside.  (Sorry Mr. Talley from Gum Springs, I don't always enjoy being right.)

-- Paul Freedman gets the nod over Colter Phillips at tight end.  I bet this was based on in-line blocking more than anything else.  Both guys should play a lot of snaps.

Freedman
-- Swanson starts at fullback.  Let's call a spade a spade.  Dude's an H-back, not a fullback.

-- Brent Urban stuck - and is now starting - at defensive tackle.  I never liked guys at DT that were too tall; too many potential problems with center of gravity.  But Conrath might have been intoxicating in his effectiveness.  This will be interesting to see play out.  I like the big Canadians we have on the squad.  The "moose pipeline" is flowing freely!

-- Eli Harold and Mike Moore both crack the opening depth chart.  I think Schautz will hold onto his job at RDE, but I won't be surprised to see Jake Snyder cede some base defense snaps to Mike Moore.  That kid just seems ready to play from a physical standpoint.  Eli Harold is still too skinny, but he'll be an impact player in the nickel.

-- Henry Coley at sam... I have a really good feeling about this kid.  Turns out, I'm not alone in that feeling.

Coley
-- Kwontie Moore on the two-deep.  He'll start in 2013 and 2014 before heading to the NFL after his junior season.  Book it.

-- C.J. Moore on the two-deep behind Tra.  Bit of a surprise.

-- Anthony Cooper listed as a safety.  He just switched from receiver.  I guess his talent level is pretty damn high.

-- Hoskey beats out Canady to start at corner.  I still think Canady gets the better of that spot before too long.

Canady
-- Drew Jarrett doing the placekicking!  Crap!  Was pulling for Frye, because I wanted the tallest starting PK in the NCAA, and because Jarrett quit on the team once upon a time.

-- Khalek Shepherd must be beat up, else he'd be listed at both return spots.  Right?

-- Not including special teams, of our 22 starters for the Richmond game, only seven are/were "London recruits."  32%.  The rest are holdovers from Al Groh, though you might be inclined - as I am - to credit Coach London with the development of Luke Bowanko, Perry Jones, Brent Urban, Henry Coley, and especially LaRoy Reynolds as bonafide starters.  The two-deep includes 19 London recruits.  43%.  Inching closer.  Once the team is 100% London's, we'll be ready to judge our head coach from a recruiting and talent development standpoint.  As of now, he's still playing with some cards from the hand Al Groh dealt him.


I am so freaking pumped for the start of the season.  Time to stomp the Spiders.

GO HOOS!




No comments:

Post a Comment