Pages

May 10, 2011

Maryland Hires Mark Turgeon

Welcome to the ACC.  You are now the enemy.





Maybe not as good as Sean Miller, but a MUCH better hire than I expected.  This is a guy who (in my opinion) will elevate Maryland Basketball back to its early 2000's level.  I'm actually glad about this --- not for Maryland, I fucking hate Maryland --- but for the ACC as a whole.  I was honestly and legitimately worried about the conference's position among the Elite Six.  Now with Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Tony Bennett, Mark Turgeon, Brad Brownell, Leonard Hamilton, and a good up-and-comer in Steve Donahue, the ACC can boast a decent fraternity of basketball coaches.

Updating my Ranking of the Basketball Coaches of the ACC:
#1 -- Mike Krzyzewski
#2 -- Roy Williams
#3 -- Tony Bennett
#4 -- Mark Turgeon
#5 -- Brad Brownell
#6 -- Leonard Hamilton
#7 -- Seth Greenberg
#8 -- Jim Larranaga
#9 -- Steve Donahue
#10 -- Mark Gottfried
#11 -- Brian Gregory
#12 -- Jeff Bzdelik

With eight of the twelve (67%) coaches joining their schools within the last two years, it will be interesting to see how the conference's top-to-bottom style of play could change.  And it will be interesting to see how Tony Bennett's conservative, grind-it-out systems can compete with these new styles.  All I know is that nothing matters without good players, and I feel good about the players Bennett is bringing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment