Pages

August 30, 2010

Depth Chart Released!

Click here to see the depth chart that was released at today's press conference.


Some observations from the depth chart for the season-opener against Richmond:
  • Kris Burd and Dontrelle Inman starting at WR.  Tim Smith #3.  This confirms two things I've heard recently: 1) Inman has been having a terrific training camp, and 2) Tim Smith has been struggling to catch the ball.  Burd/Inman as the starting duo basically limits the downfield passing opportunities, but increases the possession receiving and downfield run blocking.  I'm happy for Inman, and not really worried about Smith.  He'll get his chances to shine.
  • Morgan Moses is on the two-deep!  Giant congratulations to the mountainous young man.
  • It looks like Mike Rocco has beaten out Michael Strauss for the #2/#3 QB role.  I've been hearing great things about Rocco, and he might be the man to beat for starting duties in 2011.
  • Perry Jones/Raynard Horne at RB1.  Interesting.  I know Horne has been showing serious flashes in camp, but I'm surprised that he was able to leapfrog Dominique Wallace.  Here's hoping he's a complete revelation this late in his career.
  • I was apparently wrong about Max Milien.  It looks like the light has come on, and he's secured a starting spot for the season-opener.  This is the type of situation in which I enjoy being wrong.
  • JKD will start over Matt Conrath.  Makes sense -- get your senior co-captain in that starting spot, and see how he holds up as a sawed-off DT in an attacking 4-3.  Like with Tim Smith, Conrath will get his opportunities to play.
  • It looks like Darnell Carter made a late rally to insert himself into the discussion at sam linebacker.  Good stuff.  As much as I like the idea of LaRoy Reynold's speed, I like the idea of Carter's size, strength, and experience.
  • Taliaferro or Greer?  Greer or Taliaferro?  It looks like the coaches still can't make up their mind.  I guess it's a good problem to have; two starting-caliber mike linebackers at the center of your 4-3.
  • Walcott has ridden his hot camp to a starting job.  I'm really happy for him, and can't wait to see his #26 flying around the field.
  • Perry Jones returning kicks and punts.  This tells me that the staff is planning to ride Ray Horne as the bellcow RB.  I like a battle-hardened senior in that role.  Like I said in the running backs trifecta box -- never forget Marquis Weeks.
  • In general, it looks like a lot of upperclassmen were granted starting spots.  That's never a bad policy to have, though I suspect we'll be seeing this depth chart evolve rapidly as the season progresses.
  • Glaring omissions from the depth chart, in no particular order: Bobby Smith, Dominique Wallace, Torrey Mack, Keith Payne, Luke Bowanko, Bill Schautz, Tucker Windle.

I cannot wait for Saturday!  GO HOOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment