Pages

December 2, 2009

Wednesday Afternoon Rumblings...


  • Jim Grobe has called for a mandatory team meeting for tomorrow afternoon. Rumors are swirling that he's going to tell his team that he's leaving Wake. But to go where? UVA? Marshall? Marshall makes a ton of sense because he's from Huntington and would be able to play out his career there without a ton of pressure. Losing Grobe from our list of candidates would be a bad thing, as I've recently gotten the sense that he was our "safety net." Two reasons it would be bad: 1) we lose our safety net, and 2) Wake Forest would enter the fray as competition for our coaching candidates, especially Troy Calhoun, who was an assistant under Grobe at Wake at one point in his career.
  • Charlie Strong to Louisville seems like a done deal. I feel a little tinge of jealousy there. I think Strong is going to be a great head coach.
  • Tommy Tuberville could be on his way to Georgia... as Mark Richt's new defensive coordinator. Good luck holding that powder keg together, 'Dawgs.
  • Brian Kelly-to-Notre Dame is picking up a lot of steam. I'd say that's the most likely scenario for both parties... which potentially hurts us here at UVA because Cincinnati would enter the coaching search bonanza and could conceivably have interest in Al Golden, one of our top candidates.
  • ESPN Insider has a blurb about Skip Holtz being named the next coach at UVA. I think that report is highly bogus.
  • Mac McDonald is standing by his earlier claim that Chris Petersen will be UVA's next head coach. (At least, that's what I think he's saying. That dude speaks worse and worse English with every passing day.) Take it with a grain of salt. I mean, I hope it's true, but I highly doubt it.
  • The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that Mike London will and should become our next head coach. The fit is almost perfect and the timing is exceptional.

2 comments: