Pages

September 13, 2012

Wahooze Pix - Week Three

Last Week:
Pierce - 7
Mike - 7
Kendall - 6
Guests - 6


Standings:

Pierce - 14
Kendall - 13
Guests - 13
Mike - 13


Well, that didn't take long. Welcome back dear readers to our weekly prognostication contest. As usual, I'm in first place again. Last week saw UVA almost losing, much less covering the spread, Miami getting crushed by EMAW, and NCState failing to cover against UConn. This week: Go Huskies.

This week's guest picker is Nathan. Kendall introduces him with the following:
Nathan and I have been friends since the turn of the millennium, and simply put, I love him like a brother.  He's a great guy, a great fantasy footballer, a great hobbyist, and he bleeds orange and blue.  He held season tickets and tailgated with us in years past, prior to relocating his family to Roanoke.  I'm beyond honored to have him making guest picks, as he has been a vocal and supportive member of Wahooze Nation since the blog's inception.  Welcome, Nathan!  Good luck, and Wahoo-frickin-wa!


Nathan's always had an impressive two-step

South Alabama @ NC State (-31.5)
Ross Metheny: Kendall, Pierce, Nathan
Sean Glennon's lil bro: Mike

Kendall: That's a big spread.

Mike: They have to start scoring at some point. Right?

Pierce: Spread's way too high. 

Nathan: By all indications the USA Jaguars (so badass) are one of the worst FBS teams, but the spread is just a touch too much.

Bethune Cookman @ Miami (no spread)
TIL: Bethune Cookman is a HBCU in Daytona Beach: No one.
Al Golden's Tie: Everyone

Kendall: Miami sucks, but this is Bethune Cookman.

Mike: This unfortunately might be a pretty good game. Where have the Canes gone?

Pierce: Boring.

Nathan: No spread? Is this Vegas laziness? Miami by 20.

Furman @ Clemson (ns)
Paladins: Nobody.
Tigers: Everybody.

Kendall: KA-BOOM.

Mike: Commence beatdown.

Pierce: I thought the instate FCS/FBS games were done.

Nathan: So now I'm thinking we don't get spreads on FBS/FCS matchups. Quick learner, right? Furman note: I was one of those suckers spreading the Furman University Christian Knights embarrassing acronym lie like it was gospel for years and years. It was just too good of a story.

North Carolina Central @ Duke (ns)
Eagles?: Nope.
Blue Devils: Yep.

Kendall: Man, when will the early season fluff burn off?

Mike: Duke should put up some good numbers here.

Pierce: This is a cross-town rivalry. Just FYI.

Nathan: Questioning leads to perception leads to confirmation. Duke will crush one of the worst teams in the A/AA universe.

BC @ Northwestern (-3.5)
Golden Eagles: No one!
Wildcats: Everyone!

Kendall: I don't trust BC one iota, and Northwestern - while bad - isn't horrendous.  Plus, the Wildcats are at home.

Mike: Northwestern is sneaky good.

Pierce: BC seems to be better this year than people think. The same is eternally said for Northwestern.

Nathan: This is the most confounding spread so far. I have zero faith in BC and 3.5 is roughly home field advantage, so I'll roll with the Wildcats.


Wake @ FSU (-26.5)
Deacs: Kendall, Pierce, Nathan
Noles: Mike

Kendall: Wake always plays the Noles tough.

Mike: FSU flexes nuts.

Pierce: Is this spread a joke? Vegas knows something I don't, I guess.

Nathan:  Really tempted to go FSU, but I think Wake is slightly better than perceived, while the Seminoles are slighty worse. I'll probably regret this pick when its 45-0 early in the third quarter, but on Thursday morning I'll roll with the points.

UConn (-2.5) @ Maryland
Happy Retirement, Jim Calhoun: Kendall, Mike, Pierce
Die in a Fire, Randy Edsall: Nathan

Kendall: Can't wait for this season to end in another 2-10 disaster for the Terps.  (But that was a nice win over Temple last week.)

Mike: Would love to see Edsall embarassed by his old school in his new house.

Pierce: I'm running out of ways to say "Maryland Sucks."

Nathan: I keep reading about how terrible Maryland is (including here on Wahooze), but that hasn't shown up in the W/L column as of yet. I see these teams as equals, and as such I'll take the home dog. I get some bonus good vibes from the Terps for how brazenly hideous their kits have been the last couple of years. Just terrifyingly atrocious.

VT (-10.5) @ Pitt
VPI: Todos
Mustache: Nada

Kendall: Giving 30, I'd still take the Hokies.  Pitt is trash right now.

Mike: Thank God Pitt plays basketball.

Pierce: No way the Hokies are taking this game seriously. Pitt can't actually be as bad as their first two games. That being said, I'm not betting on them.

Nathan: Double the spread and I'd still take the emasculated turkeys.

UNC @ Louisville (-3.5)
Heels: Kendall
Cardinals: Mike, Pierce, Nathan

Kendall: Got a feeling about this one.  Just a feeling, but I'm going with Fedora.

Mike: Get to know Teddy Bridgewater.

Pierce: Chirp Chirp.

Nathan: I'm going to ignore my own advice from the Maryland game. Despite seeing this as a battle of equals, I'll take the Cardinals as home favorites. UNC might have lots of talent, but they're still working out how to be a talented team.

UVA @ GT (-10.5)
Wahoos: Kendall, Nathan
Al Groh Sucks: Mike, Pierce

Kendall: We might not win, but we're not losing by double-digits.  Those days are over.

Mike: After last week, I'm bracing for impact.

Pierce:  I figure this way, I get a little solace when we get blown out by calling it.

Nathan: C'mon now. This spread should be seven, tops. We'll cover with a 35% chance of outright victory. I expect the offense to really pound the rock (successful or not) in an effort to limit the Ramblin' Wreck's offensive possessions. The OL needs to respond in a big way to last week's poor performance to make that a viable strategy.

If we happen to win, here's the Wahooze upset dance of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment